Graphics - Intel HD Graphics Built-in Visuals
RAM - Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 2GB DDR3
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002
Optical Drive - LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW
Case - CoolerMaster Elite 341 with 420W

What do you think?
(low budget)

Gun

Looks good for a low budget computer! I know that Power Supply is with the case but CoolerMaster power supplies are often crappy and lack some saftey things. I'd go with a corsair power supply because they're a lot safer and just a better power supply.

Zangetsu

Coolermaster PSU's maybe crap, but in this case, it's not really a problem because it won't be stressed out. If you want more security for good value, get the CX430 or CX500.

And as John said, get 4GB instead of 2 GB. That's a must...

ayan

I think you should advise her to buy a laptop. Unless she's a hard core gamer, there's no need to tie her to a desk. The laptops are pretty much good enough for whatever your mom will do. You can buy a farely decent one for about 350 Euros.

spirit

Staff member
I think you should advise her to buy a laptop. Unless she's a hard core gamer, there's no need to tie her to a desk. The laptops are pretty much good enough for whatever your mom will do. You can buy a farely decent one for about 350 Euros.

Hmmm a desktop computer is more comfortable to use, especially if she's getting old etc. She may also like a large screen. Not many people need to move laptops around anyway so I'd stick with the desktop suggestion.

As for the build itself, it's all good but definitely get 4GB of RAM and a Corsair CX 430 PSU. :)

tech savvy

For that low budget PC there, that PSU of 430w by coolermaster will do just fine. No need to go spend $50-80 extra on a PSU when the one you get with the combo is fine. Yeah, coolermaster is not the best, but there not the worst. For the PC you got there you will not need more then 200-250w max, nowhere near stressing that PSU. Now if you would of built here say a $1000 PC, then yeah, go for a more reliable band, corsair,silverstone. PC Power..ect. But, yeah it looks good.

spirit

Staff member
That corsair psu is about $45, something wrong about the first statement.

Think he means because the case already comes with a PSU there's no need to spend the extra on another one. You could probably get away with using the supplied CM PSU fine, but the Corsair is better quality and the PSU is the most important component of your entire system.

The OP could just get case which does not already have a PSU.

Collermaster psus are not usally the worst, but even if a good PSU maker puts a psu in a case, it will be cheap, cheap, and cheaper.

tech savvy

That corsair psu is about $45, something wrong about the first statement.

Over your head, zooom.

Edit:OP- Im not saying dont go buy a new separate PSU. If you got the extra cash, please, by all means, get a better PSU. But if your strapped for cash, the PSU provided will do you just fine, you can always upgrade down the road.

Last edited:

Russ88765

When selecting the psu look for these types of things:

Active pfc
Single 12v rails, and amperage on that 12v rail
80+ certified(preferrably gold, or silver)
Overvolt protection
100,000 MTBF or close to this
Modular(optional)
Supports your motherboard socket and case form factor
Warranty of over a year
Good reputable brand - Antec, Coolermaster, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, XFX, etc. Avoid no name or generic brands!

Last edited:

nuketown

Thanks all for your responses.

I'm not gonna be loosing sleep over a coolermaster psu, so i'll leave it at that!

Pentium or i3 or i5?

claptonman

i3 or i5, definitely. Wouldn't touch a pentium, even for a build for my mom. Any of the lower end ones will still outperform a pentium.