build for old boss

djarvis1one

New Member
An old boss called me up for some advice.
He wants to upgrade an older P4 system. This system is being used in the dental laboratory field for CAD/CAM operations driving the Sirona inLab milling unit and Sirona inEos scanning unit.
He would like some future proofing and would like for the system to blaze. I thought about maybe an I7 930 build like this:

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131403

cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220367

hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

rs 232 card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
Item=N82E16815158113

parallel card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815317014

The milling unit and scanner require an rs232 port and the milling unit uses a security dongle in the parallel port.
Don't need a case, he has a Toughpower 750 watt psu and just purchased an nvidia geforce gtx260 gpu (not sure what brand)

Any thoughts?
 
I'd grab some good 1600 RAM and a Western Digital Caviar Black or Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive. Mobo and cpu are great.

What other components are you planning on using?
 
An old boss called me up for some advice.
He wants to upgrade an older P4 system. This system is being used in the dental laboratory field for CAD/CAM operations driving the Sirona inLab milling unit and Sirona inEos scanning unit.
He would like some future proofing and would like for the system to blaze. I thought about maybe an I7 930 build like this:

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131403

cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220367

hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

rs 232 card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
Item=N82E16815158113

parallel card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815317014

The milling unit and scanner require an rs232 port and the milling unit uses a security dongle in the parallel port.
Don't need a case, he has a Toughpower 750 watt psu and just purchased an nvidia geforce gtx260 gpu (not sure what brand)

Any thoughts?

Replaced the ram with this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222

and the hdd with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136283

As I said in the original post, he has a new Thermaltake Toughpower 750 psu, and a new gtx260 gpu. The case is a mid or full tower atx and he has an Acer 19"lcd monitor.

Has anybody had any experience with the serial and parallel cards in question?

Thanks.
 
Looks good to me...you'll need a dvd drive to install windows though.

I don't have experience with those add on cards, but cards that just add ports are a hard thing to mess up...the ones you picked should be fine.
 
He took the bait and we ordered the setup yesterday. $947.52 shipped (UPS NDA). Newegg just sent confirmation that the mobo, cpu, ram, & hdd shipped. The two cards are shipping from another location. This is going to be fun!!
I'm going to load XP Pro initially but I'm trying to talk him into Win 7 Pro eventually.
He has a DVD burner. I kinda look at those anymore as a floppy drive. You just kinda assume that a computer is going to have one.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top