Build for the wife.

Cams

New Member
So my better half saw my new build and got all excited and wants one for herself as well.

This desktop will need to run three monitors, be very fast online cause she works with people on the pc 6 states away, run VM's, process lots of info quick (she is helping build a database for A state government and then beta testing it), as well as run stuff like office. No games or watching movies. Just work and records. It also needs to be able to all of this at the same time.

I tried to make one for her but I built a gameing rig and dont know quite what she needs. Thanks for any help.
 
Last edited:
maybe look into a laptop with an i7 in it? they are only 2ghz, but thats a standard speed for laptops, and the i7 is a beast.
 
^ That. Also, if possible, use USB monitors as externals instead of regular ones. They have an integrated GPU, so there isn't as much strain on the laptop's card.
 
There is nothing wrong with her laptop and I already have one extra screen hooked up to it. Hell it has invidia graphics as well. The comp simply is not powerful enough, it never was. I want to build a desktop for her not try to fix a problem with the laptop that doesnt exist.
 
Don't buy an HP IMHO, ther costumer service and components arent that good (personal experience and a lot people around me agree also). Toshiba and sony IMO.

Edit: So want to build a desktop? whats your budget.
 
TS, even if it has an nvidia chip, it's still probably integrated, and won't handle duals. My laptop's geforce card chokes horribly with dual monitors, even if the second is on s-video.
 
The graphics are integrated however it runs the display and extra monitor just fine right now (like stated above). Also where do you get your intel from, cause her HP works just like HP says it does. I must be speaking anoter language... I want to build a desktop for her. I dont want a laptop, she has one already. It doesnt have a virus. It doesnt have malware, spyware. It has a clean registry.
 
Last edited:
I see. I was under the impression that the new computer was a replacement, not an addition, which wasn't making a lot of sense.

I'm on a cell phone so i can't link anything, but for heavy processing you'll want a core i7. It's the fastest desktop cpu on the market right now. For the monitors, ati makes cards that run triple monitors, though you need an adapter to do it. They're cheap. I'll post one when i get back if nobody else does.

Other than that, at least 4gb of ram should be ok. If you want a bit more responsiveness, a fairly fast hard drive will help. Look for at least 7200 rpm and a 32M cache.
 
Last edited:
i don't know your budget and i put this together quickly so wait for someone to refine my suggestion.

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-202-_-Product

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=LGA_1366_motherboard-_-13-128-375-_-Product

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121361&cm_re=5850-_-14-121-361-_-Product
i'm fairly sure this can run 3 monitors.

Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=4gb_gskill_ddr3-_-20-231-277-_-Product


they are just the main components to get you started, you will still need a case, ODD, HDD, etc.

hope i helped a bit
 
Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I was wondering. I have an i7 rig that everyone here at the forum helped me figure out but it is for gameing. I wasnt sure if a core 2 quad was ok or not.
 
I think an i7 would be a bit overkill for what you were describing earlier. It sounds like you would be fine with an i5. This would be my suggestion for a build on a budget:

CPU: $199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5_750-_-19-115-215-_-Product

Motherboard: $149.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412

GPU: (two of these) $45.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143066

Memory: $101.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

Odds and Ends:
Case $38.49
Disc Drive $34.99
PSU $82.42
HDD $74.99

Then again if you think the i5 just simply isn't enough then you can go with the same configuration but replace the CPU with this:

CPU: $304.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214

Respectively the computer(s) would cost you:

i5 Rig: $774.84 (+ S/H & Tax)
i7 Rig: $879.84 (+ S/H & Tax)

Personally I don't think you will notice the difference between the two but the prices are similar so if you want some extra power go with the i7. This should be everything you need to get your wife up and running with a new computer. Remember that you can also overclock either the i5 or i7 with the stock air cooler and get extra power if you need it.

Also, as a side note, depending on where you live, you can avoid shipping/handling and tax altogether by ordering through tiger direct if you want to save a few bucks. It actually adds up quite a bit on an order this size. I prefer to order from newegg because I like their selection more ;D.
 
Last edited:
@ Stoic Stentinel:
You don't have to be from Canada to recieve free shipping and no tax from TigerDirect. They only charge tax in Florida, Illinois and North Carolina and always have free shipping on large orders. Their shipping can sometimes be a little slow though (3-7 days). Its great if you live in the states. I don't really know about international though.
 
@ Stoic Stentinel:
You don't have to be from Canada to recieve free shipping and no tax from TigerDirect. They only charge tax in Florida, Illinois and North Carolina and always have free shipping on large orders. Their shipping can sometimes be a little slow though (3-7 days). Its great if you live in the states. I don't really know about international though.

That's all well and good, but the stuff you linked is from Newegg.
 
Well crap. I was hopeing that wasnt going to happen but had a feeling it would. That is pretty much my comp. i7 920, EVGA LE, xfx 5850. I have alot more RAM though. My budget is $1,000.00 or less. My build had the same budget but went to $1,387 before the second half of the memory, more case fans, and two more HDD's. Then add shipping and tax.
 
This should be just what you need. I went with two less powerful graphics cards instead of one huge one...those tri-screen models are too expensive to be cost-effective for this. This is assuming you have an OS already...

CPU- Core i7 920 ($289)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Mobo- ASUS P6X58D ($310) (It's a tad expensive, but has USB 3.0 and SATA2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

RAM- OCZ Gold 3x2GB ($150, $20 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX ($99, $10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

GPU- 2x Saphire HD4350 ($74 for both)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102817

Hard Drive- WD Caviar Green, 500GB, 32mb cache ($50) (consider a 2nd one for raid1?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136358

Case- NZXT Beta Evo ($55, $10 rebate)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011758

Total cost: $1027 shipped. ($987 if you catch the rebates)
Some other great cases, if she doesn't like that one:

Cooler Master Elite 330
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=141815

NZXT Gamma (If she needs eSATA, get this or the M59)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011785

NZXT M59 (Basically the gamma with a different faceplate)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011764

Rosewill Destroyer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147144

Cooler Master Centurion
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=141760

THERMALTAKE VI1000BWS
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007724
 
Last edited:
Back
Top