[Build Help] Next upgrade for my gaming rig?

sidrenwada

So after must consideration a a couple requests from you guys for help I figured i should just give you the specs of my "gaming rig" (in quotations because the name can be disputed at its current abilities) but here they are please help with what i should up grade next
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3
PSU: 1250w ocZ 80+ gold
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 565 3.72 GHz
GPU: Zotac GTS 450
Ram: 8GB 1333
Hard Drives: 2tb 5400rpm WD, 320 7200rpm WD
If i missed anything else necessary to include please tell me
Thanks so much!

jonnyp11

well unless that cpu unlocks to a quad core it might need to upgrade to a 960t or other quad core, and the graphics would be the main upgrade, how much can you spend?

jonnyp11

7970 would be great, max anything for a while, and then a 960t and a good cooler to overclock it would be my recommendation.

TekMaster

If your going to spend the cash then I would go with the 980 and spend the extra $50 on a passive + active cooling system such as the hyper N 520 or a Thermaltake. Great for OCing minus the water.

TekMaster

I'm almost sure that your BIOS has the core unlock feature but you might want to double check via a google search. Do you have this mobo now? if so go into your BIOS on startup and see if you can find something relating to core unlock

claptonman

http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3908

Yes, it does, but you'll have to update your BIOS, most likely.

But the new bulldozer chips are not very good in single-threaded apps and even some multi-threaded apps. I would advise against it.

Even a 6-core is too much for a gaming system, no games will use them all. I would do what everyone's been saying and get a 960t. I have it and love it to death. Could easily get it over 4Ghz with a voltage increase. And a 7970 would destroy everything. You certainly have the power for it lol.

jonnyp11

i'm fairly sure that one does, and no game does, or will require for a while, use over 4 cores. only FSX and battlefield 3 can use them, and BF3 barely gets anything from extra cores, and the difference isn't something you would ever notice. as for the 980, yes it's better but for the money the only benefit would be an extra .2 ghz maybe, not really worth the price unless you want to be able to say you got it to -.--ghz. and the 960t is the one that unlocks, it's basically one of the thuban (6-core) processors which use the same amount of power as the 4-cores, so when you lock 2 cores it becomes a more power efficient 4-core using 95w instead of 125w.