Build me a rig?

Ok well heres the deal. I havent updated my current rig in over a year, and obviously the processor in it isnt close to what is now "fast".

By all means its an awsome gaming computer, but i have money now and i figure ill try and build the ultimate gaming computer since iv never been able to have the latest hardware due to money.

And since this rig was built i havent paid much attention to the new things that have come out in the past year.....

So what i want to know is what the fastest of the fast is currently. That includes hard drives, im replacing them as well. The 2 i have now will just be used as spare storage. So basically i plan on building an entire new rig, the only thing thats staying is my Ultra Alluminus case unless someone can find me one thats bigger.

Im not moving to water cooling though, im not into that.

Intel or AMD doesnt matter to me. The only thing i prefer is nVidia. Although i wasnt disappointed with the only ATi card i owned.

Last edited:
How much are you willing to spend? If money isn't a concern I would say:
i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
6 GB of Munshin 1600 6-7-6-20
GTX 285 (no multi GPU headaches)
2 Velicoraptors in raid 0
Corsair TX 820
Antec 900-2

How much are you willing to spend? If money isn't a concern I would say:
i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
6 GB of Munshin 1600 6-7-6-20
GTX 285 (no multi GPU headaches)
2 Velicoraptors in raid 0
Corsair TX 820
Antec 900-2

Money isnt a huge concern, i pry wouldnt spend more than $1,500 if that. Ill check all that stuff out thanks.

Money isnt a huge concern, i pry wouldnt spend more than $1,500 if that. Ill check all that stuff out thanks.

No problem. You defiantly want an i7 as they are best gaming processors out right now. The motherboard I chose IMO is the best for OC'ing without breaking the bank. Some like the Gigabyte boards and they are great but just do not have all the extras that Asus does. The 2 Velociraptors harddrives are awesome for speed but are quite expensive and if you want to fit under 1500 you might want to get something else. The GTX285 is the strongest single GPU solution on the market and kills mostly any game you throw at it. The Corsair 850 is the best bang for the buck powersupply out there and will be more than enough for your needs now and into the future. The mushkin ram is the best dollar for performance DDR3 out right now.

No problem. You defiantly want an i7 as they are best gaming processors out right now. The motherboard I chose IMO is the best for OC'ing without breaking the bank. Some like the Gigabyte boards and they are great but just do not have all the extras that Asus does. The 2 Velociraptors harddrives are awesome for speed but are quite expensive and if you want to fit under 1500 you might want to get something else. The GTX285 is the strongest single GPU solution on the market and kills mostly any game you throw at it. The Corsair 850 is the best bang for the buck powersupply out there and will be more than enough for your needs now and into the future. The mushkin ram is the best dollar for performance DDR3 out right now.

I take it the i7 is a complete new architecture from the core 2?

Any chance there is a bigger case than the one i currently have? The one i have is the Ultra Alluminus and its one massive case but i still wish it was bigger. I searched before and couldnt find one bigger, i want like a really big tower.

And by the way, i wont be overclocking. Iv stopped overclocking.

Dystopia

past problems with ocing? :)

That build looks fairly good. The only thing I would change is just get a 1TB HD, 7200RPM for everything else, and one raptor for the OS and some games.

past problems with ocing? :)

That build looks fairly good. The only thing I would change is just get a 1TB HD, 7200RPM for everything else, and one raptor for the OS and some games.

That sounds good. Im typing on this fancy z board i found and man is it hard!

anyway, yea i wanted like 2 huge hdds for storage and then like one small super fast one for the os.

no, no past problems with overclocking i just never saw a good enough gain in perfomance to make it worth the risk.

That sounds good. Im typing on this fancy z board i found and man is it hard!

anyway, yea i wanted like 2 huge hdds for storage and then like one small super fast one for the os.

no, no past problems with overclocking i just never saw a good enough gain in perfomance to make it worth the risk.

The i7's are amazing OC'rs and deffinately worth the effort. You will not see the full potential of the video card until you hit about 3.2ghz which is very easy to do on stock cooler.

I have an Antec 1200 case and I can't see anybody needing more space than it has. It really is huge inside with awesome features that make it easy to cable manage. It has 3 120mm fans in the front 2 120mm's in the rear and on the top has a 200mm exhaust. It is capable of holding up to 12 harddrives as well. Heres what mine looks like and as you can see with 4 harddrives, 2 monsterous video cards and massive CPU cooler it still has lots of room.

Picture007.jpg
[/IMG]