Build Now, or Wait for SATA 6GB and USB 3?

philgons

I've been contemplating building a new machine with an ASUS or EVGA 1366 board, the Core i7 920, and an Intel X25 or two. But I've been reading that SATA 6GB and USB 3 are in the not-too-distant future.

My existing build (EVGA 650i, Q6600) is a decent machine, but I'd like to get some newer hardware in the next 6 to 9 months so my wife can have my machine (she's using my 5-year-old Dell laptop and is frustrated with the speed).

Do you think SATA 6GB and USB 3 will be mainstream in motherboards in early 2010? If it were you, would you wait until then?

Bodaggit23

I wouldn't wait for SATA 6Gb/s unless you're planning on using a SSD.

As far as USB 3.0, I wouldn't wait for that either because there will
probably be expansion cards you could add later.

I would wait, however, to see the new line of CPU's from Intel.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I take it then that normal HDD can't use all 3Gb/s. When do u think we will be seeing some new cpu's and how long do you reckon socket 1366 will be around for until the next new socket come out?

lawson_jl

The USB 3.0 standard won't even be finialized till sometime in 2010 if we are lucky and we won't see any products till then. USB 3.0 won't be standard on motherboards till 2011 with the vurrent time table. Most USB devices won't see any benifit anyway from USB 3.0 it's really aimed at external HDD. As far as SATA 6GB goes don't bother. Modern HDDs can't even top out a SATA 3GB connection let alone a SATA 6GB this includes SSD. Theses are what you can call ready for the future tech high speed high bandwith connections for the next few generations of hardware down the road.

Tuffie

Yeah I think lawson summed it all up, basically both of the types of tech you're talking about will not only take a long time to implement, they'll cost a lot when they are implemented.

bomberboysk

The USB 3.0 standard won't even be finialized till sometime in 2010 if we are lucky and we won't see any products till then. USB 3.0 won't be standard on motherboards till 2011 with the vurrent time table. Most USB devices won't see any benifit anyway from USB 3.0 it's really aimed at external HDD. As far as SATA 6GB goes don't bother. Modern HDDs can't even top out a SATA 3GB connection let alone a SATA 6GB this includes SSD. Theses are what you can call ready for the future tech high speed high bandwith connections for the next few generations of hardware down the road.
He said he plans on using two intel X25's, those get insanely high transfer rates, and two of them can saturate a sata 2.0 bus.

tyttebøvs

I'd RAID 0 them. Will SATA 3GB/s be a bottleneck?

Each SATA channel will have a transfer rate at 3 Gb/s.

A SATA controller can support port multipliers. Here you hook multiple drives up on the same channel. That means they have to share the 3 Gb/s. You probably wont do that.

linkin

VIP Member
I wouldn't wait, but thats my opinion...
I do wonder how long LGA1366 will be around before intel creates something else...:rolleyes: