Build or Buy? Never built before.

nd4spd

Alright guys, I have never ever built a computer before, and in fact i know NOTHING about building a computer. My knowledge of computers is limited to "i use it for school and **** around on the internet alot". i dont really play games much, but usually end up with a shit ton of programs on my computer. My TOshiba laptop is broken, so i will be getting a new computer.

Should I attempt to build my own? How hard is it? Is there a step by step guide or anything around? Is this a one day project... or how long does it take to assemble a computer? I am good at following directions, but like i said i know nothing about computer internals. my budget is going to be around 1500, whether i build it or buy it... so what do u guys recommend. by the way thanks so much for all your help!!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I wouldn't try... Read around, you'll see quite a few people run into some pretty major problems when they build them...

CorNut

banned
I prefer to build my own... If you do attempt to build.. make sure you go with all big name brand parts since it will be your first build... You are less likely to get compatability issues that way which isn't something you want on your first build.. If you want to attempt to build one you can email me at [email protected] and tell me your specific needs and I can give you advice on which parts to buy and if you have any problems I can step you through it.. you needing keyboard/mouse?? monitor?? speakers etc?? or just the PC?? etc... let me know your needs and limits

Last edited:

CorNut

banned
The_Other_One said:
I wouldn't try... Read around, you'll see quite a few people run into some pretty major problems when they build them...

now if he doesn't try.. how else is he going to learn?? ;) gotta learn sometime right??

nd4spd

alright well now i have one no and one yes... i wish someone was in the san jose area that could help out lol. anyone around there? THanks CorNut for your offer to help... i may take u up on that offer?

Just how difficult is assembly... and also how long does a project like this take?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I would build your self if I was you. It not as hard as people think. Fear is the number one thing stoping people from building it them self. There plenty of people here that will be willing to help you walk through it. I would do some research before building so you got an Idear of what you going to do. It is usually a one day thing to do. I would say on your first build you should take everything very slow so I would give your self like 5-6 hours to put it togeather and setup.

As for parts since multitasking seem to be the most important thing to you I would consider Pentium D 3.0 Ghz. This should be a great cpu for mutitasking and should fit in a $1500 budget without a problem.

I be happy to recommend a whole list of parts for you once you tell me what the 1500 have to include. Is it just for the computer or does that include monitor, operating system, keyboard, mouse , speakers?

Last edited:

CorNut

banned
putting the comp. together will take somewhere around an hour then however long it takes for the OS... Once you get that you'll have to spend a couple more hours downloading and installing drivers, updates etc... it could very easily turn into a day project but I enjoy building computers so it's no biggie... If you do decide to, don't be afraid to email me and ask for help... I'd say message me here but I don't frequent the boards much.. I am only here right now because I am having some problems and I am hoping I can get some help myself... I think my vid. card just took a crap

TheKeVo

the comp in my sig was my first build and it went fine just having another computer to come on here and ask questions was a lot of help.
and also read the motherboard manual while your building, tells you what to hook up with what.
if you want to get more for your money than build it
but if you think you might screw up something while building it
than buy a brand name
my friend went to www.cyberpowerinc.com and you dont have to worry about hooking it up

nd4spd

ok couple more questions: what kind of work does assembly entail? is it just plugging stuff together or do u have to do stuff like soddering, etc? how do u install drivers, etc. after assembly?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
nd4spd said:
ok couple more questions: what kind of work does assembly entail? is it just plugging stuff together or do u have to do stuff like soddering, etc? how do u install drivers, etc. after assembly?

It just plugin things in, and skews, nothing as complex as soddering. I would buy one of those $25 or so computer skewdriver etc sets that comes with skew drivers and stuff for computers. That all you will need equipment wise to make the computer.

Drivers you install after insalling the OS. They just like installing any application.

CorNut

banned
I built my comp. for around $1100 which is in my sig... on top of those parts I also bought an Acer 19" LCD with 12ms response time, DVD Burner and an Epson R200 printer which prints on printable CD'd/DVD's... Wireless keyboard, and wireless trackball mouse, a seperate DVD drive so I could do disc to disc copy.... If you don't need all of those convenience and bragging rights parts you can spend a lot less... It isn't like 2 DVD drives makes my comp faster... not to mention everything I bought was silver because I am anal like that... I spent the extra $ to get matching parts... You can most definately build a PC that will handle whatever you throw at it and also be able to play games if you'd like for under $1,000... if you already have a monitor, printer, KB/Mouse, cd drives from an old comp etc... we can just get you a better case/PS, hard drive, MB/cpu, and ram and it'll be a whole new machine... do you plan on backing up cd's/DVD's?? if not that is even more $ saved...

nd4spd

what about an operating system... do i have to purchase one? is it just any old operating system installation cd?? cause i ahve tons of windows xp discs lying around...

mgoldb2

VIP Member
nd4spd said:
what about an operating system... do i have to purchase one? is it just any old operating system installation cd?? cause i ahve tons of windows xp discs lying around...

If you already have a FULL windows xp installation cd then that all you need. A upgrade disk will not work.

CorNut

banned
if you have an OS CD that isn't specific for an HP comp or something similar it will work... Do you already have a copy of Windows XP?? If so and you are the original purchaser you can use it on another computer as well...

*EDIT* he beat me :(

CorNut

banned
The_Other_One said:
Sure he has to learn somewhere, but it's better not to on a new system!
why :) ?? he has the help of computerforum.com by his side... I have never had any problems at all when using big name brand parts... I say he should do it.. we won't lead him the wrong way and we'll make sure everything is done right

*edit* not to mention... he has a second computer he can use when he runs into problems.. it isn't like if it doesn't work right first try he'll be left in the dark.. I say you should do it.. it is all plug and play... way easier than a lot of people think

nd4spd

i think i know a couple people as well that might be able to help out... anyone willing to let me call them or something if i ran into problems?

nd4spd

now a couple of you have me scared? what is so difficult about it... i dont understand... what kind of problems can come up?

CorNut

banned
nd4spd said:
now a couple of you have me scared? what is so difficult about it... i dont understand... what kind of problems can come up?

It will be fine man.. I guess some people like to feel smart cause they can build them?? They don't like admitting that pretty much anybody can? I dunno :D there really isn't anything to it... as long as u dont go cheap on motherboard/ram... I doubt you will run into any problems... and if you do run into a compatability issue... just make sure you buy all of your parts from a reputable company and exchanging it for another part won't be a hassle at all... Any problem you run into will get resolved... no worries ;)

Last edited: