Build or buy?

jwalsh29

Howdy all.

As implied by the title, I'm wondering whether or not it would be a good idea for me to build a computer or to buy one. My current computer is ~5 years old and I've got about ~$1400 total to spend on a new rig.

Now, from what I have read on the forums already, I know pretty much everyone here is in favor of building, but I'm not sure that is the route I want to go.

I have never built a computer myself, so I'm worried whether or not I will be able to put together a machine that runs and runs as well as expected. I am fairly familiar with computers, having replaced graphics cards, RAM, processors, and one motherboard (that wasn't fun), and I feel that's essentially building a computer right there. However, I don't want to buy all of these parts and then not be able to get them all working together.

So, if I've been able to do all of these things, do you think I'd be able to build one up from scratch? Or should I go the "hopefully" hassle-free route and buy one online?

Also, if it matters, I 'm looking for a gaming machine and have about $1400 total to spend. I need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse in addition to the Case and all of the guts, but I'm good on speakers.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bigsaucybob

I have seen plenty of people build working computers with less knowledge than you currently have. So I have no doubt that you will be able to properly construct a computer.

As for being worried about not being able to get all the pieces working togehter, it is not as difficult as you might think AND you have all the knowledge of everyone here to help you out.

jwalsh29

That's great to know! I haven't been sure if I could handle putting everything together. But, it is very comforting to know that if I have problems, I can post here to get help from others!

So, if I am going the "build my own" route, and want a gaming machine around $1400 total with a monitor but w/o a speaker system, what kind of components will fit this price range and make a good gaming comp?

Thanks for any ideas in advance!

JW

Bradan

good job, itll be easy. I was very nervous seeing as I'd only done a gpu upgrade, added one stick of ram, and replaced a cpu cooler. honestly theres not much you can screw up, unless you drop something, you can't even put the processor in wrong anymore. you'll get some pretty high end components for $1400, depends how much u spend on the screen. I must have spent around $1500 Canadian on mine about 4 months ago, so thats the same price range...

just get a big screen is my advice :) then work around that

I say get a mid end overclocking board with a lower end core2 (4300/6320), you can't beat the price/performance ratio going this route. Get an 8800 gts 320mb and a decent psu. Get some ddr667 or ddr800 with a decent warranty. Pick whatever case/hdd/dvd/fans

If you build your own now, you'll do it for ur next pc and ur next pc. think about the $$$ u save, plus its kinda fun.

Last edited:

jwalsh29

Okay, so if I'm going to be building my own computer, can someone help me on what I specifically should get? I'm looking to spend ~$1400 total, including a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I don't need a speaker system though.

I essentially want a gaming rig and I don't want to overclock anything because I'm new at this and wouldn't want to burn out any parts. Is there anything else you need to know?

dude build it if u want to get maximum value for money! and if ur worried about building it get ur local computer store to do it! im paying around $3500(au) for my custom built which is a pretty mainstream gaming computer and im having the guy at the shop im buying all the gear from to build it, and because he does this for a living i know when i get it it will run smoothly. Also if anything go's wrong during the process he has to replace it ...

or u can buy one off a shelf and compinsate one thing for another not to mention if anything go's wrong ull be calling india for technical support :)

Last edited: