build problems

Dioxin

Hey everyone,

I've encountered a few problems with my current new build.

1 - When I power up, the floppy working light stays on all the time.

2 - When I go to load windows, I get this screen:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1120015/IMGP3282.JPG

(I left it as a url since the image is large).

3 - I'm not sure my PCI-Express card is sitting all the way in the socket. There is a clip that reminds me of a ram clip. It appears that it is supposed to clip over the edge of the PCI-E card. However, my PCI-E card has a little extra piece on it that prevents the clip from closing. I'm thinking this is keeping the card from being fully seated in the socket.

IMGP3283.JPG

Any suggestions on any of these thigns?

sam_tcc

Turn over the floppy cable and plug in again (floppy side, not MB).
Check your hardware such as memory, hard drive and ...etc, they may cause problem. Recently I install over 2TB hdd (4x750gb-raid 5) and install winxp 32 bit, it just keep rebooting after the winxp installed. So if your hdd is over 2TB, you might have the same problem too.

Rip_Uk

I would try and get the video card in properly, if it doesnt click in and sit flush then it is not in. What are your specifications?

rogueeskimo

ok if the vid card is not sitting in properly, then your mobo might not be sitting high enough off the back panel of the case. try using those gold plated extention screws. the extra end of a pci-e card is not used, and therefor the clip doesnt work, and is not needed (same with my comp). as for the floppy, check cables

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. If the videocard isnt seated properly -- you'll know. THat and .. push harder

2. Regarding the floppy make sure you've connected the not just pin1 to pin1 but also tha you're using the correct end of the floppy cable :) (i.e., the one with the twist in it should go in the drive)

meanman

turn the floppy ide over at the floppy drive end then plug it in if using sata hdd you should of inserted driver floppy and pushed f6 during windows install
even if you did this it wouldnt of worked because you have the ide cable the wrong way round on the floppy ,make sure you have the spacers on your case so the mobo isnt toughing the case

pdc76

You could always snap that peice off the GPU. It looks like it might of been made so it's removable.

i'd rather try to remove the retention clip off the board before i tried to break the tab off the card. it just seems less risky to me. plus, you might be able to put it back on again if you want to. i had a retention clip for my ram come off before, and i was able to just click it back in it's little recepticle.