Buildin my own pc - wich motherboard?

shortkid

Hi, i was wonderin wot mother board to get for my new pc? I want: only SD or DDR ram slots for up to 4gb of RAM, a Pentium 4, 3.2GHZ processor and preferably sound/video cards built in, lots of USB 2.0 ports and lots of pci slots too. I cant spent much (about £70 max :-( as im only 15. Thanks. :confused:

gamerman4

What is your purpose for this machine (games, schoolwork,...etc)? There are lots of answers to this question.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well for 130USD you can pretty much get a more-than-acceptable motherboard. My questoin is do you really want integrated video? :)

lisa79

Id say go for the p5gdce deluxe, i have one and its a nice board, if you want onboard graphics then go for the p5gdc-v same as the one ive got but with onboard graphics.

shortkid

Well i want it for longhorn build 4074 or 4053 (cant remenber what one i got). I want it to be powerfull, mostly for browsing the internet, (some) games, schoolwork, general computer use realy. I like changing things like the registry too. I dont need the video card built in but would prefer it coz then i dont have to get 1 seperatly, and i dont need an amazing video card, just a decent one thatl work. I will b playin DVDs on it though. Im gona hav XP home (sp2) on it 2 (on a seperate partition). But im not sure wot socket type i need either for a top of the range (affordable) pentium 4 or celeron processor also (probably the cheapest and best value for money one too lol). I baisicly just want a powerful board thats cheap, has some usefull stuff built in, will let me add loads of RAM and will let me use a p4 (and run longhorn). If theres any thing else you need to know, Ill try my best to get back to you. Cheers

age123

ok what about a
intell 3200+ p4
512 gcard
1gig memory
200 gig hdd
52/dvd/cd-rw
16 dvd-rw
nice case

about 2000 maybe less

apj101

VIP Member
shortkid said:
Well i want it for longhorn build 4074 or 4053 (cant remenber what one i got). I want it to be powerfull, mostly for browsing the internet, (some) games, schoolwork, general computer use realy. I like changing things like the registry too. I dont need the video card built in but would prefer it coz then i dont have to get 1 seperatly, and i dont need an amazing video card, just a decent one thatl work. I will b playin DVDs on it though. Im gona hav XP home (sp2) on it 2 (on a seperate partition). But im not sure wot socket type i need either for a top of the range (affordable) pentium 4 or celeron processor also (probably the cheapest and best value for money one too lol). I baisicly just want a powerful board thats cheap, has some usefull stuff built in, will let me add loads of RAM and will let me use a p4 (and run longhorn). If theres any thing else you need to know, Ill try my best to get back to you. Cheers

I think you may be going overkill, all those things you listed are very basic tasks that any cheap machine will handle no prob. Get a a cheap board, sempron/celeron D, (any reason for the intel preference). Cheap value ram, decent size hdd. if you stic with onboard thats your choice, but if you are doing moderate gaming then maybe get a dedicated card. From what you've descibed this could be met from a budget of 300, 400 pounds easy.

shortkid

@ age123, im not looking 2 buy a PC, but 2 make one. I suppose they are simple things. So wots the best choice? Make, Model? Ill see about sempron. No reason 4 intel prefernece really, just like i use windows over linux, ease rather than anything else (im lazy lol). Ive bn thinkin of ebay, Some v cheap HDDs and RAM etc. Btw, wots the best type of RAM to? SD or DDR? I jus need 2 make sure I dont make ne major mistakes, and i wana get the best value for money and for my needs (therefore gettin a decent motherboard). So how much are the cheapest boards that are worth while getin, and what are they called? Ta ;)

lynx6200

I would think you might just want to look into a prebuilt system, from dell, emachines, copaq, something like that. Those are usualy pretty good deals for the money. Buy it with what you need in it, and upgrade the rest to your specification, the simple things that is, video card, ram, hard drive. I think DDR ram is pretty standard, you might go with that.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
intell 3200+
Nonexistent anything.

ok what about a
intell 3200+ p4
512 gcard
1gig memory
200 gig hdd
52/dvd/cd-rw
16 dvd-rw
nice case
Ok you should prolly spend some time learning both CPU and Videocard stuff (especially balancing) ... no point pairing a 512MB videocard with a nonexistent CPU (even if you meant Pentium4 540 or Pentium4 3.20))

I wana builld it myself though, for fun lol
Then build one already :p
For the budget you've got you can get pretty much any decent motherboard. I'd reccomend the ASUS P4C800 or P4P800 lineup

shortkid

Thats what im looking 4 - recomendations. Il check it out and let u know what I get (and how much). Thanks. Any more? :D

Geoff

VIP Member
id say you can go with either a Sempron 2600+ or a P4 2.8Ghz. Not really any need to go higher then that for your needs. And a 512mb graphics card is way out of your price range, nor would it be useful for what you want to do. And you really only need 512mb memory, and say a 120gb hard drive.

Geoff

VIP Member
i've never seen a motherboard (at least the newer ones) that dont come with onboard sound, but i did find one with integrated video (ATI Xpress 200m) for $80 or so. I think it was for socket 939 though.