Building $2k Gaming Computer

MadHappy

Hey guys, this is what I have lined up: :cool:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17289052 = $2200 after tax + shipping

A couple questions:
1) Are there any other parts I should get? i.e. extra fan for the case, extra wires I may need, adapters, etc.
2) Am I able to SLI a GTX 580 Lightning Extreme edition with another 580(i.e. with a reference version or a Lightning(non-extreme) edition, etc.)? I don't plan on buying a second card for a very long time, for obvious reasons, but just in case they no longer sell the Lightning Extreme come time, it'd be nice to know that I could still purchase a similar card.

Few notes/clarifications/answers to possible questions you may have:
  • The 5400rpm mechanical drive I chose is purely for storage, I already own a 1tb 7200rpm Spinpoint F3 that I will use(in addition to the SSD).
  • I'm getting a 1200w psu for the headroom and so that I never have to worry about upgrading my psu.
  • I am going to overclock the CPU, and eventually the GPU as well.
  • I have a 1080p monitor.
  • I know getting a 3Gb gpu is kind of overkill, now, but it wont be in a few years, and that's what I'm planning on. Also, it'll be great for whenever I start running 3 monitors.
  • Where I'm currently set up, I need the wireless adapter, unfortunately.

I wont be purchasing this immediately and am still comparing parts to other ones, so let me know what you guys think and any suggestions you may have.

This is my first build, and after using my current comp(see sig) for the last 3 years, I am very excited to have something that I can actually game on. But, to be honest, the building of it is going to be the best part :D I will definitely post pictures once I'm up and running, and maybe do a few benchmark videos.

claptonman

1200w PSU is ridiculous. You can get away with a 750w with two video cards. I know you said you wanted headroom, but that's almost a whole nother PSU worth of headroom. And coolermaster is an ok brand, not something I would trust with a 580. Corsair, antec, silverstone, seasonic, PC power and cooling, or xfx are the good brands.

So you'll have 3TB of storage space? I would wait on the 2tb drive. Can always buy it later if you need the space.

And yes, you can use any 5xx card in SLI.

MadHappy

You could invest in some RAM with lower timings for only a few bucks more (relatively speaking). Something along the lines of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

You could also get away with a 1000w PSU instead of a 1200w one.

Thanks skidude, those were actually my second choice, but I was weighing between having 1.25v RAM or RAM with lower timings.

As for the PSU, I know that 1000w would be more than enough for what I have, but when I start thinking of SLI, overclocking of the CPU and GPU, and eventually adding water cooling, I'd feel better with a 1200w psu. I'll go back and do little more research on this though, and see how much other people can get away with using a 1000w psu.

The 1TB Spinpoint F3 hard drive only has 26GB left, I was planning on transferring everything from that drive over to the 2TB drive. The SSD will be my boot drive and strictly for games, adobe software, etc.

EDIT:

Alright, I'm going with the Corsair HX1050, but I'm going to stick with 1.25v G. Skill Sniper's.

Thanks guys, I'm still taking feedback.

Last edited:

JaredC.

Id recomend finding a dual band wireless adapter. And maybe cut back on the case and upgrade to a i7?

jonnyp11

With 2 GTX 580's absolutely not. They use 700+ watts at peak power just for the GPU's alone.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/14

this is the second time i'm posting this from this link a while back, read the dang captions where it says the system consumption is the 719 peak, not the gpu's, they used a socket meter not something for the cards themselves, so a quality 750 might pull it off, but a 800 or 850 would be a lot safer and better on it.

and a quality 1000w would easily do 2 580's with overclocking and all too, then a watercooler on top.

claptonman

this is the second time i'm posting this from this link a while back, read the dang captions where it says the system consumption is the 719 peak, not the gpu's, they used a socket meter not something for the cards themselves, so a quality 750 might pull it off, but a 800 or 850 would be a lot safer and better on it.

and a quality 1000w would easily do 2 580's with overclocking and all too, then a watercooler on top.

Exactly. From the site:

"During the stress tests we measured power consumption based on the power draw from the entire PC."

"I'd say on average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc. Keep that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is a little higher than your average system."

So it's more like 619-669w for two 580s. A quality 750w can pull it off easily.

skidude

this is the second time i'm posting this from this link a while back, read the dang captions where it says the system consumption is the 719 peak
Whoops yeah you're right

skidude

No worries this forum is easily the least hostile place I'm a member of so it doesn't bother me :)

MadHappy

Well, I submitted the order and it should arrive sometime next week, thanks to those who gave me feedback. Can't wait :cool:

The changes I made were for the PSU(HX1050), the RAM(Ripjaws X Series), and the Wireless Adapter(Linksys Dual-Band).

Specs:

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 8gb (8-8-8-24)
PSU: Corsair HX1050
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: Samsung EcoGreen 2TB(in addition to my Spinpoint F3 1TB)

The other miscellaneous stuff is in the link(first post).