Building a £500 gaming PC, reackong this is best I can do?

RhysFinney

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MFnV

CPU
AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor £99.98
CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £17.46
Motherboard
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard £63.75
Memory
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £32.99
Storage
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £50.00
Video Card
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card £143.98
Wireless Network Adapter
Asus USB-N10 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter £9.49
Case
Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case £38.75
Power Supply
XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply £36.18
Base Total: £492.58
Shipping: £1.99
Total: £494.57

spirit

Staff member
Yes for less than £500 that is a really solid build - great stuff.

One just one thing though: the case. The Elite 430 doesn't have any cable management features, but for a bit more (maybe 310 or so), you can get a Zalman Z11 Plus which does have cable management features and would be a better case to get. Also look at the Z9 from Zalman and the Sharkroon T9. They're all cheap and pretty good.

If need be, don't buy the CPU cooler (unless you want to overclock the FX-6300 straight away), and buy a slightly better case instead. The CPU will come with a cooler you can use.

It would also be best to buy everything from one shop, just in case you need to send to anything back in the future. This is why I don't like this PC Part Picker thing people use. Overclockers is a good shop, see if you can get all that stuff from them. :)

daisymtc

PSU - XFX PSU are good. But 450W seems a bit tight to me to run 7850 and overclock the machine. I would suggest you go for 550W instead.

Case - I am not sure if CM elite 430 is a good case choice. Zalman Z9 would be at similar price.

Okedokey

PSU - XFX PSU are good. But 450W seems a bit tight to me to run 7850 and overclock the machine. I would suggest you go for 550W instead.

Case - I am not sure if CM elite 430 is a good case choice. Zalman Z9 would be at similar price.

Get the Corsair 450W. The XFX goes way out of spec underload (which it will be).

Plenty with 32A for a card that uses less around 10A. Its better to run a PSU at 80% load than at 20% load anyway.

RhysFinney

Oh great thanks, I tweaked the case to your recommendations to the Z9! Its actually cheaper £31.29 on amazon too! However it doesn't seem to come with any fans.

So you don't think I need the cooler and I should up the PSU a bit or should I keep them as they are?

Just to be on the safe side I wanted to have the cooler, but with the case and base fans would it be ok to leave it out? Ay reductions in the total cost is very welcome for the same spec as this:)

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Yeah you don't need the aftermarket cooler unless you want to overclock.

Get a Corsair CX 500 or CX 600 PSU.

RhysFinney

Actually I think I might go for the Zalman Z11, looks like a far better choice and I changed the CPU

But just wondering if going cheaper on the PSU would be wort it? such as purchasing: Alpine 500W Silent ATX PSU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-500W...20?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1364476378&sr=1-20

Saving about £40 for same wattage, obviously the quality wont be the same, but would going for this cause any problems or would it run fine?

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
No don't buy cheap power supplies. They tend to go wrong and when they do they take out the rest of your system too.

Stick to the Corsair or the XFX. Never go cheap brands on PSUs.