Building a comp but need advice

neil_1821

Hi,

Recently i purchased a laptop off ebay but the screen bust because of a crack in the motherboard so i claimed off my insurance and got some extra money. I am now looking at building a pc so that i can upgrade it in the future but i'm not too sure what parts to purchase. I have roughly £900 to spend on it but i'm not sure if i can afford to buy the new graphics card as i'm a gamer and not a worker. :D I know that i want an AMD processor but i'd like to buy the x2 but will i be able to afford it all and if not would you go for the x2 or grpahics card?

apj101

VIP Member
I have roughly £900 to spend on it but i'm not sure if i can afford to buy the new graphics card as i'm a gamer and not a worker. I know that i want an AMD processor but i'd like to buy the x2 but will i be able to afford it all and if not would you go for the x2 or grpahics card?
Why do you want amd if your not a gamer, intel may be the best choice for multitasking.

recommend you spent half an hours reading the 101's
building 101
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=16363

cpu101
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13239

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
actually i think he said that he isn't a worker but a gamer..but that's ok.

The cheapest X2 i found was the x2 3800 socket 939 with 512k L2 cache each and operates at 2.0ghz for $410, the next level is the x2 4200 which is $485. Then you'll have another 400 ish dollars left to buy mobo and some other stuff, which isn't alot.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you want amd if your not a gamer, intel may be the best choice for multitasking.
To literally answer the question: video editing. To address the underlying assumption: not all Intel chips are better than all AMD chips for multitasking

The cheapest X2 i found was the x2 3800 socket 939 with 512k L2 cache each and operates at 2.0ghz for $410, the next level is the x2 4200 which is $485. Then you'll have another 400 ish dollars left to buy mobo and some other stuff, which isn't alot.
you mean ~900USD?