Building a comp, who wants to look smart?

Chomps

Gentlemen. I've gotten by over the years with crappy second-hand computers, despite my practically living on the net. Always limited to games and programs my flaming piles of crap were barely capable of handling. Now that I can afford a computer of my own design, I intend to go for the gold. I've shopped around and found it a common practice of companies to make computers just good enough to rip off their target consumer. So I've decided to build one.

I know enough about computers to know I'd have to spend a month or two combing through scattered details of every aspect before I was satisfied. So I've come to you in search of enlightenment, hopefully save me some time. But before you agree to this seemly simple task, keep in mind I'm not satisfied until things are perfect, I'll continue asking you questions until you tell me the answer to life. Yes, a challenger approaches.

Some basics. I'd like to go for the i7, as I perceive it as the most powerful choice at the time, correct me if I'm wrong. I hear the 1366 is better for overclocking, if that's the case, that's the way I'm going. Though, to start, I'll just pop a fan and good paste on it, deal with learning overclocking and paying for the water cooling later. 2.66, figure I can OC or buy stronger later.

I'd like to purchase quality, dependable components with good customer service in case anything breaks down. But I'll start with lesser ram and a weaker card, though maybe power supply sufficient for two cards, extra fans, and water cooling later down the line. Board audio is fine, gigabit ethernet. Functional case, I'm not paying extra for lights or whatever. Lots of USB, preferably some on the front and other things, you know.

I'm assuming I'll have to learn bios and all that, do tell. Anything else as well.

Zinus

I like you have just started mentally building a PC too; I'll go ahead and tell you overclocking is insanly difficult and risky. If any information you put in requires too much it could fry your $1500 processor and who knows what else.

If you talking a large budget here and a few FPS is worth $500 extra to you then I can guide you in the right direction; but I can also give you some tips on "trimming the fat" and getting to whats necessary.

linkin

VIP Member
Go with the i5, hold out on a graphics card and stick with integrated until the radeon 5000 series comes out. the previews i've seen say that they smash the 4000 series and nvidia's 200 series. When they 5000 series is released, pirces will drop on the 4000 series and nvidia's 200 series.

bomberboysk

i5 only has 16 pcie lanes to the cpu, and doesn't do tri channel memory. Plus 1156 doesn't have that many coolers atm, and won't be upgradeable to i9.

Chomps

Excellent. Of course I have questions, Bodaggit. Will 850 be sufficient for the things I listed before? 2 cards, water, fans, OC? Also, that mobo, will it be suitable for water, 2 cards, and OC? And the board saying SLI Nvidia on it. Does that mean it can only run two Nvidia cards or does one have the option of using radeon? I have no intention of using radeon, just curious.

Other than that, you've saved me quite a bit of time. Now, can you perhaps point me to a guide, if necessary, on.. I think the term is "running bios"? I can grasp putting the hardware together, but I'm clueless as how to make all the components sync up. Once I get into windows though, I've pretty much got my bearings.

Last edited:

Chomps

Oh, apologies, my budget is undetermined. I am balancing longevity with power. Buying a good backbone, but skimping on the upgrades. I.E. cards, ram. Necessity, necessity.

Bodaggit23

Will 850 be sufficient for the things I listed before? 2 cards, water, fans, OC?
Yes, Corsair 850 is plenty for two cards and lots of fans.
I've never water cooled, so that's a question for someone else.

Also, that mobo, will it be suitable for water, 2 cards, and OC?
Board is irrelevant when water cooling, just the socket, and there are not many
aftermarket coolers, or water cooling kits I would imagine, for this socket because it's so new.
I guarantee there will be soon though.
Overclocking depends on the BIOS, but would bet the options are there.

And the board saying SLI Nvidia on it. Does that mean it can only run two Nvidia cards or does
one have the option of using radeon? I have no intention of using radeon, just curious.
That board runs ATI CrossFireX and NVIDIA SLI

Other than that, you've saved me quite a bit of time. Now, can you perhaps point me to a guide,
if necessary, on.. I think the term is "running bios"? I can grasp putting the hardware together, but
I'm clueless as how to make all the components sync up.
You shouldn't have to change any BIOS settings to get it up and running. Only when
you want to start overclocking will you need to wander into the BIOS.
Red

bomberboysk

That 850W will power pretty much anything except a quad SLI or triple SLI rig.

If you want to be watercooling...go i7, better to have an air cooled i7 over a water cooled i5 anyhow.

Watercooling doesnt really draw that much power, for a higher end wc system it may draw at max 40W or so, with most of that going to the fans. Now, if you wereto run a chilled loop, then its a different story.

Chomps

Ok, more question time.

I assume I'll need to buy a heatsink? Any suggestions?

And other suggestions on the video card? I'd like to go mid-range for the time being.

Last edited: