building a computer, compatibility

cooldude3552000

Well I really need a new computer and have desided to build one. I already have a CD drive and CD burner. This is what I am going to buy i want some people to confirm it is all compatible 100% and that it is all I need to build a computer.

This is the case I am using, Click Here
This is the floppy drive, Click Here
This is the hard drive,click here do I need a hard drive cooler since it is 10k RPM or am I fine without?
this is the RAM I am using Click Here someone I talked to wasn't sure if this would fit my mother bourd, does anyone know for sure?
This is the Mother Board I am using, click here I decided to go with AMD.
This is the CPU I am using, click here
This is the Video card, click here I am worried this is way more than I need, I will be mostly using it for online videos, a little video editing and maby a few games like a flight sim or somthing. What do you think?

So is this all I need plus the CD burner I already have. I also already have XP and microsoft office. Do you have any sugjestions on parts that would be better. I am 14 and in 8th grade now and will be using this computer for highschool and college so thats why I want it to be fast. Please don't recomend anything more expensive sicne this is as high as I can go.

Thanks,
Colin

cooldude3552000

even though it s 10,000 RPM? Can anyone recomend another one from that site and that is 10,000 RPM? Other than that is everything else good?

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
the reason the hard drive is so expensive is that it's a 10k rpm drive. personally i wouldn't waste my money there, 7200rpm hdd's do the job just fine. *shrug*

also, you might want to consider getting a socket 939 based bored for future upgradability and better performance.

cooldude3552000

ok, but my question is will all that stuff work with eachother and is it all I need besides a cd drive and softwre to build a PC? And when I put it together I just need to set bios to boot from CD then I just install everythjing and be done? The socket 939 ones are too much for me. Also do I need any special software or drives for stuff or is it all included? Also what do you guys think of that video card? I was not planning to spend any where near that mcuh but it looked like a good one, what do you think?

Thanks for all the help guys!
-Colin

Last edited:

Picklee

Everything looks compatible but as they said I don't think yuo should waste your money on a 10K RPM for your hard drive. Just get a 7200 RPM HDD. The video card is nice but personally I would recommend a GeForce 4 or somthing other than ATI. The ATI Radeon 9600 is ncie but ATI's aren't the best and your definately not getting too much since you'll be doing some movie editing and using flight sim and online videos.

cooldude3552000

thanks for your help. I live on Vashon Island, you take a 15min ferry ride from west seattle. I will look into that card, someone recomended ATI but I guess they were wrong. About the hard drive I really wanted a 10k hard drive. Also ae there any kind of drivers or programs I need to buy? I have office and XP but do I need anything else?

Thanks,
Colin

EDIT: I just looked at the geforce 4 and there and a few of them, what kind do you recomend. $150 is the apsolute MAX I can spend for a card.
Thanks!

Last edited:

cooldude3552000

how does this look, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-051&depa=1 it is 256mb but only 250mhz is that too slow? It also comes with software. I wanted somthing a little faster but alot of the fast ones are out of stock.

I also found this one, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-161&depa=1 I think its better since it has 400mhz.

sorry for all the questions but since I am spending a decent amount of money on a video card i want to make sure i get a good one.

Last edited:

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
cooldude3552000 said:
how does this look, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-051&depa=1 it is 256mb but only 250mhz is that too slow? It also comes with software. I wanted somthing a little faster but alot of the fast ones are out of stock.

I also found this one, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-161&depa=1 I think its better since it has 400mhz.

sorry for all the questions but since I am spending a decent amount of money on a video card i want to make sure i get a good one.
the ATI Radeon 9600XT would be a better card than both of those gforce cards, if you are looking for performance. i have heard a few people claim that there are some driver issues with the radeon cards, but strangely, i haven't heard any complaints from people that actually have ati cards. as a matter of fact, i have seen many magazines recommending ati over nvidia. either of those cards would serve you well and as always, it's a matter of personal prefference. i chose nvidia over ati, because that's what i know and have come to trust. however, i have two friends with ati cards and they are very satisfied as well and i haven't heard any complaints from either of them.

Tha Killa

4W4K3 said:

You could just go with the cheaper one (top one) and overclock it to the 500 mhz on core speed (I dont overclock though so I'm not sure if you could go all the way there without getting some extra cooling or somethin...) Good luck.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Tha Killa said:
You could just go with the cheaper one (top one) and overclock it to the 500 mhz on core speed (I dont overclock though so I'm not sure if you could go all the way there without getting some extra cooling or somethin...) Good luck.

True, but you might find that the cheaper of the 2 cards doesn not overclock that well. It's basically just what you want i guess, either cheaper and overclocked (if hardware permits) or a bit more and overclocked (the XT should be a good overclocker from the reiews i read.)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a terrible deal on your hd! 40gb for 110! You could get somewhere around a 60 to 80 gb hd
You need to do some research before you make blatent comments like that which are horeribly incorrect.

even though it s 10,000 RPM? Can anyone recomend another one from that site and that is 10,000 RPM? Other than that is everything else good?
No, the Raptor10K is a nice sweet drive. Grab the 37.GB for your applications to improve load times etc and get a slower massive drive for storage.

also, you might want to consider getting a socket 939 based bored for future upgradability and better performance.
But dont break your budget :)

but as they said I don't think yuo should waste your money on a 10K RPM for your hard drive. Just get a 7200 RPM HDD
Indeed ... the 16MB 7200s work damn near the same (but that too is excessive) :)

Also ae there any kind of drivers or programs I need to buy
Probably not.

EDIT: I just looked at the geforce 4 and there and a few of them, what kind do you recomend. $150 is the apsolute MAX I can spend for a card.
Your better off with a 9600XT for that budget :)