WIndows 10 Building a computer for my friend

ssal

My friend likes what I built for myself and wants me to help him put a similar one together.

He's using it for Photoshop CC primarily so the demand is not extreme. But since we are hoping that the build will last the next 8 to 10 years, we are not going too much backward neither.

I choose the CPU, MBO, DRAM, PSU and Casing based on the one I built a year ago. I have a high degree of familiarity so there is no surprise. We'll be using the 250gb EVO Samsung SSD (from existing machine) as the system drive.

Please comment on the built to see how/what I can do better with the $$, or any potential conflict. Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (Choose this for the 8 cores and 16 threads)
ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card
Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go NVME drive for boot drive. Using SATA SSD with tech that can use NVME is just not right. Also get an AC wireless adapter. You could drop that psu down to 500 watts and put the money toward something else. I personally would stay away from Seagate drives as they fail quite a bit early on. Use Gskill ram, its a little cheaper and love them.
Just my 2 cents.

beers

Staff member
I'd B550 and Ryzen 3000 series at this point, then you still retain upgradability to the 4000 series line.

What's your actual budget?

Edit: Also, if you need wifi, just get a board with integrated wifi. The card you listed is a gigantic turd and isn't worth messing around with.

Last edited:

gillmanjr

What monitor(s) is he going to have? Resolution?

Honestly if he's ONLY using it for photo editing, internet, etc and isn't a gamer, I'd say that CPU is overkill. I guess if you want it to last a solid 10 years than stick with the 2700X, but if you want to save a little more money now just go with a quad core. Most new quad cores will get the job done and I think will be a better match for that RX570.

Also, 32GB of RAM is unnecessary for almost everything, go with 16GB and save that money (or put it elsewhere). He can always add another 16GB later, if needed.