building a computer...getting a black screen

Maximus

New member.... building my own computer. When I am booting it up all i get is a black screen. ive tried different video cards, different screens, checked if i needed to switch something manual for agp slot.

computer:
3.0ghz, 1.5gig ram, ps4800 asus motherboard, 80 gb hardrive, dvd/rw cd/rw drive,128mb geforce mx 4000 agp8x

plz help me trying to build this computer for my dad

flame1117

banned
What CPU is it? not just the clock speed. and i dont think it would be this since your just booting it up for the first time?. but you could try reseting your bios or some other jumpers.

Maximus

its a p4. i forgot to say that the case i got did not come with a power supply. i had a power supply sitting around so i decided to put it in, I think it was an 85w..lol but now i have a 420w and that might of messes up the bios...so i will try what u said. ty

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
you could try reseating the ram too, i keep getting that problem when i clean out my system (ie taking it apart). does your system make any beeping noises when you boot?

Maximus

i have 3 512mb pc3200, and ive tried multiple combinations with the ram. The computer does not make any beeping noises. i was thinking that it might have something to do with atx 12v connector,but i don't know.

any more suggestions?

Maximus

at first i just had a 4-pin peripheral power connector in my cd drive, and when i turned the computer on the cd drive did not turn on also. then i saw the 4-pin +12v connector and i plugged that into my motherboard, and when i turned it on the cd drive was on too. so i guess my question is would it work without the 4-pin peripheral, and just the 4pin 12v, or will that just fry my computer?

running out of ideas

there should be ...Look were the Red box is ...
045yw.jpg

I had the same problem as you so i plugged that connector into my Mobo and my pc Fired up with VGa etc but with out that plugged in there was NO Vga or Reponse from the System

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Maximus

yes i did see that, and i plugged it into my mobo and it fixed the problem of my cd drive not turning on....i still get black screen though when i turn on comp.
do u think i should try it with a big screen insead of a flat screen?

do u need both 4 pin peripheral and the 12v connected?

Maximus

yeah i just dounle checked it and they are both connected.

any remote possibility it could be that im using flat screen?

Maximus

tried crt...no luck there

CASE EVERCASE|E4252BB-53 0W RT

MB ASUS P4S800 SIS 648FX RET

VGA XFX|GF MX4000 128MB DDR 8X

CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT

DDRAM1GB|PC3200 991145 MUSHKIN RT

DDRAM 512MB|PDP 1-64x64 PC3200 RTL

HD 80GB|SAMSUNG 7200/ATA133 SP0802N

DVD±RW|SAMSUNG TS-H552U/BEBN BLK %
well here is the stuff i got......maybe i fried it when i tried to turn it on with 85w power supply

Maximus said:
tried crt...no luck there

CASE EVERCASE|E4252BB-53 0W RT

MB ASUS P4S800 SIS 648FX RET

VGA XFX|GF MX4000 128MB DDR 8X

CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT

DDRAM1GB|PC3200 991145 MUSHKIN RT

DDRAM 512MB|PDP 1-64x64 PC3200 RTL

HD 80GB|SAMSUNG 7200/ATA133 SP0802N

DVD±RW|SAMSUNG TS-H552U/BEBN BLK %
well here is the stuff i got......maybe i fried it when i tried to turn it on with 85w power supply

Try different Ram i could be that

Maximus

dynamitecid99 said:
no, just nothing would happen, i mean, if the PS was to small, nothing would get "fried" unless the PS was faulty...

ty that is gives me great relief... i spent $657