Building a computer problem

Chinchillagirl

Ok so long story short, my old computer got to old to upgrade, so I thought I'd just build a new one. I figured I was taught well enough to put one together with no problems.

After getting everything together... Gigabyte ATX motherboard, intell core duo processor, 4 gigs of transend memory (all 5 star stuff on newegg), a gigabyte computer case, and a BFG tech 550w power supply. I plugged in everything, loaded windows xp, loaded the motherboard drivers, everything went wonderfully! I couldn't wait to find office and photoshop cds to install the following day.
Next day, I push the power button... nothing. Not a sound, nothing powers up... complete nothing-ness. So I tried a few things, gave up, and blamed the power supply. Replaced it, still nothing. Replaced the motherboard, CPU, and memory (at the same time)... still nothing. This is where I'm at right now. After 2 days of being very frustrated I decided to ask for help. Only thing that hasn't been replaced is the brand new sata drive, the video card I was able to keep from my old comp, and the actual case itself. Everything is plugged in correctly, the power strip it's plugged into works perfectly, I've tried a different power cord, and the little red switch on the power supply is in the correct position.
So please, if anyone has some advice for me to try let me know. I feel like I'm missing the obvious. Perhaps a broken power button? I don't know. Just mad it worked perfect for a day then nothing.

Dropkickmurphys

check the power button ! lol...

also, if no setup will boot, is this all done from 1 plug socket? I doubt this would be the problem, but it might be worth trying to plug something else in there to see if it works? lol....

sokol

Ok there should be a power and reset button on the motherboard press the power button on the motherboard and see if it boots up, Don't use the power button on the case. If nothing make sure are the connectors aren't loose, also check the back of your power supply to see if its on not off. Post back when you checked this.

mac550

also if the plug that goes into the means power has a fuse, check it and replace it if needs be

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Use a screwdriver to bridge the 2 pins. It sounds like the power switch on the PSU might be set to off though (not the red 115/220V selector, the black on/off switch).

Chinchillagirl

So do I touch push the two pins together or have the screw driver touch the pins at the same time? Sorry for the questions I don't want to mess things up.
I know how to turn the power supply on and off. Just for giggles in the trouble shooting I did days ago, I tried it with it on and off, and I still had the same response.
Also take in mind nothing changed from one day to the next. The next morning it wouldn't turn on.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
have the screw driver touch the pins at the same time
You don't want to bend the pins or anything, just have the screwdriver touch both at the same time until it powers on or until a few seconds and nothing happens.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You've replaced pretty much everything yes? Check everything else, I doubt your PSU blew 2x (and once without even turning on).

Plug a light into the power outlet you are using, can it turn on?

Chinchillagirl

Tried a wall outlet still nothing. BUT when the power supply is turned on I hear this low hiss, I'm very sure it's coming from the power supply.
Yes everything has been replaced but the case and video card. Though I will add the power supply was the first thing I replaced, so it was used on the motherboard/cpu/memory that was returned.