I'm basically a complete PC tech noob, so i hope someone can help me out.
I've been researching building a fairly decent computer for around AU$500 - $600 (mostly for gaming and sound production) and have come up with these components:
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM (non HDMI version)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual-core 4200+ (2.2gHz)
Would it be worth getting an after market heat sink?
RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 - 667
or should i go for 800 as the motherboard supports it? is there much difference?
Also, the motherboard specifies the RAM slots as DDR2. Can i still use original DDR RAM from my old computer as well as new DDR2?
HDD: 2x500GB SATA (one for personal/gaming/OS and the other for sound production files/sessions)
GFX: nVidia GeForce 8500GT (512mb PCI-E)
just to sweeten the deal a little so GFX can be up to par with Xbox360???
I have already got a tower case with power supply and DVD burner (plus speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc).
All new components plus OS will come to around AU$610 (hopefully cheaper as i will purchase everything from a computer fair).
So i'm not going for an all out powerhouse, just something fairly quick and can handle new games at a decent graphics setting for the price range.
Is there anything that i have missed? I hope i haven't sounded too dumb here but alot of this stuff is beyond me. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
I've been researching building a fairly decent computer for around AU$500 - $600 (mostly for gaming and sound production) and have come up with these components:
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM (non HDMI version)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual-core 4200+ (2.2gHz)
Would it be worth getting an after market heat sink?
RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 - 667
or should i go for 800 as the motherboard supports it? is there much difference?
Also, the motherboard specifies the RAM slots as DDR2. Can i still use original DDR RAM from my old computer as well as new DDR2?
HDD: 2x500GB SATA (one for personal/gaming/OS and the other for sound production files/sessions)
GFX: nVidia GeForce 8500GT (512mb PCI-E)
just to sweeten the deal a little so GFX can be up to par with Xbox360???
I have already got a tower case with power supply and DVD burner (plus speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc).
All new components plus OS will come to around AU$610 (hopefully cheaper as i will purchase everything from a computer fair).
So i'm not going for an all out powerhouse, just something fairly quick and can handle new games at a decent graphics setting for the price range.
Is there anything that i have missed? I hope i haven't sounded too dumb here but alot of this stuff is beyond me. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited: