Building a Desktop

s92harrell

New Member
So I have recently decided that it's time to trash my ancient computer and get a new one. After talking with the tech guy at my dad's computer company, I decided that it would be better and wiser to build a computer rather than buy an already assembled one. After a couple of hours on newegg.com, I've decided that I'm going to need help with a couple of things. The first and really the biggest is the motherboard/cpu combo. I should peobably say that this computer will be used most for gaming, but not exclusively. I'm not that big of a gamer, I just want to be able to run the games I have well. They include The Force Unleashed, Modern Warfare 2, and probably Star Trek online when it comes out. I started off looking at the AMD processors since they wee cheaper, but decided to get a second opinion. So my question to you guys is: For what I want, what's the best motherboard/cpu combo? I'm looking to spend no more than about $400-$500 for the combo and all help is appreaciated.
 
$500 is the limit, meaning that's as much as I can spend if really needed. And from what I know, games rely more on clock speed right? Which would mean I could go for something like the AMD Phenom II X4 at 3.4ghz? That one is a quad core as well but for about $200. Again, jus what I think I know, I could very well be wrong.
 
That looks sweet. And just a question, a guy poasted a revieq on the mobo and said he overclocked his i5 from 2.6 to 3.7ghz. What does that mean, how do you do it, and can you do it on a laptop?
 
So this is the new and improved list, minus a pwer supply. I dont know what I'll need fr that or how to get sure. Help is appreaciated, as well as advice on parts list.

Rosewill Destroyer Game Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147144

ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131407

Intel Core-i7-860 2.8ghz Lynnfield quad core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214

Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (with a second set of 4GB to come sometime in the future)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145265

Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB HD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462
 
Last edited:
You need to add a power supply and for just $10, you can go with a WD Caviar Black. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136283&Tpk=750gb caviar black

Do you need a CD/DVD Drive and Burner or an OS?



***EDIT***
That looks sweet. And just a question, a guy poasted a revieq on the mobo and said he overclocked his i5 from 2.6 to 3.7ghz. What does that mean, how do you do it, and can you do it on a laptop?

PM me after you build the computer, lol. We can get to that later. Right now we have to focus on getting the parts together :P Overclocking as basically pushing your CPU farther than the speed the retailers sold it to you for. You can't do that to a laptop as most OEM retailers lock down their BIOS, and it's also not recommended because laptops overheat a lot easier.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I had the caviar black but decided to go with the samsung because it's a little bigger. Is the caviar better?
No, I dont need a CD/DVD drive, I have one already.
How would I know what power supply to get?
 
For a PSU, you want 500w or above from a reputable brand (Corsair, Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, XFX)
 
Back
Top