Building a new computer - help

ozzman

New Member
So the PC I bought back in 2001 is finally giving out and I want something that can play the games I've been missing out on. Other than that, I only use my PC for music and schoolwork, and the internet. Thinking of having this put together by a local PC shop.


Intel Core i5 650 Dual Core Processor Clarkdale LGA1156 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading 4MB Cache Retail Box
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 CPU Heatsink Cooler LGA1366 LGA1156 LGA775 AM2 AM3 W/ 92MM Fan
ASUS P7H55-M Pro mATX H55 LGA1156 DDR3 PCI-16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 HDMI DVI VGA GBLAN Motherboard
G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH Ripjaws PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-21 Core i5 1.65V Memory Kit
GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 576MHZ 896MB GDDR3 1.998GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I
Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio
Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan
Antec power supplies are rated for continuous power
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM
LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

Any changes I should make?
 
^ +1 to both

The 5770 has roughly the same power as the 260, but with better features. The i5 750 is a real quad core, rather than a hyper-threaded dual core.
 
^ +1 to both

The 5770 has roughly the same power as the 260, but with better features. The i5 750 is a real quad core, rather than a hyper-threaded dual core.

Can you elaborate a bit? I checked out a few reviews comparing the 5770 to the 260, and the 260 outperformed the 5770 consistently.

Further, I've been reading that a quad core does not offer much of an advantage over the dual core, since most applications aren't written with quad cores in mind. So if the choice is between higher clocking dual core, and lower clocking quad core for the same price, I've been reading that the dual is the way to go. No?

Also, I submitted the order last night :o It's a local shop though, and I'm sure if I catch them before the weekend I can still change it. I'm not yet convinced I should, based on what I read though.

Thanks for your thoughts!
 
Can you elaborate a bit? I checked out a few reviews comparing the 5770 to the 260, and the 260 outperformed the 5770 consistently.

Further, I've been reading that a quad core does not offer much of an advantage over the dual core, since most applications aren't written with quad cores in mind. So if the choice is between higher clocking dual core, and lower clocking quad core for the same price, I've been reading that the dual is the way to go. No?

Also, I submitted the order last night :o It's a local shop though, and I'm sure if I catch them before the weekend I can still change it. I'm not yet convinced I should, based on what I read though.

Thanks for your thoughts!

The 260 is a bit more powerful, but it's not enough to make a huge difference. The 5770, on the other hand, supports DX11, so games that use it will look a whole lot better.

Quad cores are most certainly worth it. Most newer games will have support for at least 4 threads. For example, anything running on the UE3 engine supports quads, as well as COD4/5/MW2. A few games that were ported from consoles actually have support for 6 or more. Bioshock supports 10.

However, the i5 650 does have hyperthreading, so it does have 4 threads...it's just not as good as the 750.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top