Building a New Computer

MarBug

I've dealt with many computers of the course of the last 7-8 years of my life. But I've never actually built one, so here are a list of parts that I've ordered just this week:

Main Computer Components:
Montior: Samsung 22" Widescreen 2220WM
Montior #2: Samsung 19" Standard (Forgot model #, I baught it at Bestbuy)
Case: APEVIA Full ATX Tower X-PLEASURE (Black Allumnium)
Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme nVidia 680i SLI LGA 775
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Ordered 2 for SLI)
Processor: Intel Duo 2 Core Conroe E6850 3.0GHz 1333MHz FSB
Harddrive: Western Digital 1,000GB (1TB) 7200 RPM SATA
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w (SLI Certified)
RAM: OCZ DDR2 1066MHz 2GBx2 PCR 8500 (4GB Total)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition

Other Accessories:
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa (Back Ordered, currently using Logitech Wireless Keyboard)
Mouse: Razer Copperhead 2000dpi
Headset: Razer Barracuda HP-1

So far this has costed me well over $3,000+ so I would assume this would be a great gaming computer once I get all the parts in and the computer built. But, I'm not too sure on if some of these parts are compatiable with others... I didn't think to ask this before ordering. So any comments would be appreciated.

Massios

Looks good, there might be some problems with the sound card and vista, but I believe the proper drivers are out now.

I would have gone with WD raptors in RAID 0, but what ever floats ya boat :)

paratwa

Who did you order the parts through? $3000 seems a little to much for that system.

I think you went way overboard on the PSU, you could have gotten away with a 650 watt psu for that system, maybe a 700 watt at the most. But that 1000 watt will work, so in the future you have the wattage you will need if you decide to go SLI.

Otherwise everything looks good. I do not see any compatibility problems at all.

MarBug

All the parts except the Graphics Card are coming from Newegg.com the Graphics Card came from Tigerdirect. They were the only ones in stock with the 8800GT's that I could find.

I am currently running dual 8800GT's thats why I have a 1,000w supply. I suppose I may have gotten some of the parts for alittle cheaper than what I did, but you do have to account that the Razer products are $80 for the headset, mouse is $70 and keyboard being $80.

But I appreciate the comments, I have been using an old outdated system for years that barely even runs Source games (Texture tearing, artifacts, etc.) slow computer as well. So, I decided to upgrade to some of the best parts out there that will surely last me for along time since I rarely ever have the money to spend upgrading my computer.

Massios

Who did you order the parts through? $3000 seems a little to much for that system.

I think you went way overboard on the PSU, you could have gotten away with a 650 watt psu for that system, maybe a 700 watt at the most. But that 1000 watt will work, so in the future you have the wattage you will need if you decide to go SLI.

Otherwise everything looks good. I do not see any compatibility problems at all.

marbugcomputerjf6.png

lol? and thats not even with the mouse and keyboard.

Also, for that price, you should have gone with a Q6600, but you can also wait to upgrade to a 45nm in the spring.

paratwa

Oops, didn't see the 2 8800gt's.

Looks like a very good system. With that you will be able to run at the highest settings.

MarBug

lol? and thats not even with the mouse and keyboard.

Also, for that price, you should have gone with a Q6600, but you can also wait to upgrade to a 45nm in the spring.

Two of the items you have listed in that picture aren't the items I ordered. The monitor I ordered is a Samsung 22" Widescreen 2220WM model. You have a 226BW listed. I ordered there newest model that recently came out.

The RAM you also listed is 800MHz, I ordered 4GB of 1066MHz RAM. Which was over $300 for 4GB of it.

The Headset, Mouse, Keyboard were over $200 as well.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I've dealt with many computers of the course of the last 7-8 years of my life. But I've never actually built one, so here are a list of parts that I've ordered just this week:

Main Computer Components:
Montior: Samsung 22" Widescreen 2220WM
Montior #2: Samsung 19" Standard (Forgot model #, I baught it at Bestbuy)
Case: APEVIA Full ATX Tower X-PLEASURE (Black Allumnium)
Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme nVidia 680i SLI LGA 775
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Ordered 2 for SLI)
Processor: Intel Duo 2 Core Conroe E6850 3.0GHz 1333MHz FSB
Harddrive: Western Digital 1,000GB (1TB) 7200 RPM SATA
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w (SLI Certified)
RAM: OCZ DDR2 1066MHz 2GBx2 PCR 8500 (4GB Total)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition

Other Accessories:
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa (Back Ordered, currently using Logitech Wireless Keyboard)
Mouse: Razer Copperhead 2000dpi
Headset: Razer Barracuda HP-1

So far this has costed me well over $3,000+ so I would assume this would be a great gaming computer once I get all the parts in and the computer built. But, I'm not too sure on if some of these parts are compatiable with others... I didn't think to ask this before ordering. So any comments would be appreciated.

That's an joke, that's probably worth more like 1.5-2k...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Two of the items you have listed in that picture aren't the items I ordered. The monitor I ordered is a Samsung 22" Widescreen 2220WM model. You have a 226BW listed. I ordered there newest model that recently came out.

The RAM you also listed is 800MHz, I ordered 4GB of 1066MHz RAM. Which was over $300 for 4GB of it.

The Headset, Mouse, Keyboard were over $200 as well.

You absolutely do NOT need 1066MHz RAM yet. DDR2-800 will serve you alot better, and you wouldn't even notice the performance increase...

$300 does not justify the price-speed diference from DDR2-800 either.

$200 is alot to spend on that stuff, you should only have around an $75 budget...

SLi is useless if you could have just bought another card altogether (Ahem, Ultra)

MarBug

You absolutely do NOT need 1066MHz RAM yet. DDR2-800 will serve you alot better, and you wouldn't even notice the performance increase...

$300 does not justify the price-speed diference from DDR2-800 either.

$200 is alot to spend on that stuff, you should only have around an $75 budget...

SLi is useless if you could have just bought another card altogether (Ahem, Ultra)

Let me clear some things up for you by posting my current Computer Spec:

Motherboard: MSI AGP.. it's old, about 4 years old.
Graphics Card: GeForce 7600 GS 512MB AGP
Processor: AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.1GHz
Harddrive: 40GB
Power Supply: 535w
RAM: DDR 266MHz (1GB)
Soundcard: None
Operating System: Windows XP Home

So I believe I would notice a HUGE difference between DDR 266MHz and DDR2 1066MHz, especially going from 1GB to 4GB.

I've had this current system for 3 to 4 years with a couple minor upgrades. Which were the 7600GS graphics card and the AMD processor. I believe I forgot to mention that I rarely ever have the money to upgrade. So, getting the parts for my new computer that I have chosen I believe are some great choices. And they will help me better now and in the long run.

So I am not building a computer only based around today's systems and games. I am also building it to keep it the way it is for the future, without having to upgrade anytime soon. That's why I am buying some of what I am getting.

tommy25

Looks like a great build, if you had the money then you may as well spend it and get the best. That should perform well for quite a while!

Whats the point in saying he could have got it cheaper whens hes already ordered!?!