Building a New Custom Computer

AbsoluteFail

New Member
Hey guys. I am planning to build a new computer and I have been looking around to find the best options for putting together a custom system.

I came across a pretty nice system that has a LOT of options to customize, but I was wondering about a couple things. I have saved a few different configs but I was wondering about what type of video card I should go with. Here’s the system configuration page.

I have been a long time Nvidia fan but I was looking at some of the information on the system configuration page and the video talks about a new AMD chipset geared for HD gaming. Would it be better to go with Nvidia or ATI to make the most of this?

I have heard that AMD and ATI are very closely related, so I was wondering if it made a difference or not, and I’d be interested to know what other people would go with. Thanks guys.

AF
 
OK, for gaming you would get an Intel CPU, and the ATI Radeon 4870, but that depends on your budget.

If you would like, i can do you a good gaming build???
 
Hey guys. I am planning to build a new computer and I have been looking around to find the best options for putting together a custom system.

I came across a pretty nice system that has a LOT of options to customize, but I was wondering about a couple things. I have saved a few different configs but I was wondering about what type of video card I should go with. Here’s the system configuration page.

I have been a long time Nvidia fan but I was looking at some of the information on the system configuration page and the video talks about a new AMD chipset geared for HD gaming. Would it be better to go with Nvidia or ATI to make the most of this?

I have heard that AMD and ATI are very closely related, so I was wondering if it made a difference or not, and I’d be interested to know what other people would go with. Thanks guys.

AF

What is your budget?
What country do you live in?
Main use of the computer?
Have you considered building it yourself?
Do you need everything or just the tower?

The computer in the link you posted is ok of light use or if your on a low budget.

Currently Intel is literally pounding Amd so going with an Intel processor would be your best bet. Ati on the other hand has just released their HD4xxx series which is the current best bang for your buck. Amd and Ati are closely related because AMD owns ATI. It makes absolutely no difference if you get an Amd with Ati or Intel with Nvidia.
 
What is your budget?
What country do you live in?
Main use of the computer?
Have you considered building it yourself?
Do you need everything or just the tower?

The computer in the link you posted is ok of light use or if your on a low budget.

Currently Intel is literally pounding Amd so going with an Intel processor would be your best bet. Ati on the other hand has just released their HD4xxx series which is the current best bang for your buck. Amd and Ati are closely related because AMD owns ATI. It makes absolutely no difference if you get an Amd with Ati or Intel with Nvidia.


Well my budget is about $800 for the whole system. I have a monitor already though. I live in the US and the main use for this system would be mainly gaming, and multimedia.

I don’t know if I feel comfortable building it myself. A friend of mine got a bunch of parts through newegg and had problems with stuff not working and getting it exchanged. I was thinking of just having it built and tested so I could be up and running right out of the box.

As mentioned I have a monitor. They keyboard, mouse, speakers I have are pretty old but they will work for a few months until I can upgrade that stuff. The computer desperately needs to be replaced though so that’s what I’m gonna get first.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all the help guys!
 
I would say, upgrade the graphics.

I know you don't want to build, but if you do, you could be paying way less for a better
computer than that one. Most of the time when you order, you get everything working.
 
how do you feel about upgrading a power supply and a video card? because if you are fine with it, you could get these:

Recertified: Gateway GM5643E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113067
Logitech S-220 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014
OCZ StealthXStream 600W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
PNY 9600 GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133216

total with shipping before rebates 780.55

start by hooking up the gateway, speakers and your monitor to see if it all works. then change the power supply and retest. last insert the video card and retest. this way, you will know which part has the problem if you have one.

if you have more money then for about $40 more get an 8800gt and for about $80 more get a HD4850
 
Well my budget is about $800 for the whole system. I have a monitor already though. I live in the US and the main use for this system would be mainly gaming, and multimedia.

I don’t know if I feel comfortable building it myself. A friend of mine got a bunch of parts through newegg and had problems with stuff not working and getting it exchanged. I was thinking of just having it built and tested so I could be up and running right out of the box.

As mentioned I have a monitor. They keyboard, mouse, speakers I have are pretty old but they will work for a few months until I can upgrade that stuff. The computer desperately needs to be replaced though so that’s what I’m gonna get first.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all the help guys!

OK, $800 will get you a nice build:

Here we go:

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131275 - $104.99
CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037 - $169.99
Ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122 - $79.99
Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148136 - $74.99
Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129112 - $189.99 ($169.99 after mail in rebate)
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 - $119.99 ($69.99 after mail in rebate)
Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171023 - $99.99 ($69.99 after mail in rebate)
DVD Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173 - $28.99

Total - No Rebates - $868.92
Total - After Rebates - $778.92
Total Saving on rebates - $90.00

This is a good Build, and will be fine for your gaming and multitasking.

Enjoy.
 
Back
Top