Building a new PC, suggestions?

ishan

Okay, so I currently have a Dell Studio 15" with a Core2Duo @ 2.4 GHz and 4 GB RAM.

I want to build myself a rig. I wanted to know if I should buy/build one now (by June - July) or wait till the end of the year (October - November)?

I know 2011 is going to see a lot of advancements in terms of technology... Lightpeak, Sandy Bridge, cheaper SSD, UEFI, better gfx, cpu, <insert new technology here>, etc.
Taking that into consideration what should I do? Are there any of them worth waiting for?

Secondly, should I buy a new more powerful laptop or should I go for a PC? A laptop can be plugged into a TV via HDMI and all that. I need a laptop because of college, etc. So if I make a PC, I will be stuck with this old laptop and if I buy a new laptop... well, no PC.

NOTES:
  • Windows fanboy.
  • CPU: Intel/AMD... doesn't matter.
  • GPU: AMD/Nvidia... doesn't matter.

Budget:
  • 75,000 INR - 80,000 INR =
  • 1,635 USD - 1,743 USD =
  • 1,200 Euros - 1,280 Euros.

What I am looking for:
  • Serious to moderate gaming.
  • Quick computing, (fast boot up and shut down, minimal or no lag (I know that is impossible but you get what I mean))
  • HD Movies, audio.
  • Recording/processing audio.
  • rarely processing video.

powerpack

banned
The first question you must answer is do you want the best performance or mobility?

Your current notebook is going to be fine except for gaming type things.

What do you do with your system. What is your budget?

I am a mobile guy but I would be hard pressed recommending my current or the current performance mobile systems for class rooms. They are just too big and lack battery life. A ULV or optimus system with 8+ hrs batt life or a cheap netbook are for class rooms.

Budget?

gamerwithoutrig

The first question you must answer is do you want the best performance or mobility?

Your current notebook is going to be fine except for gaming type things.

What do you do with your system. What is your budget?

I am a mobile guy but I would be hard pressed recommending my current or the current performance mobile systems for class rooms. They are just too big and lack battery life. A ULV or optimus system with 8+ hrs batt life or a cheap netbook are for class rooms.

Budget?

Budget is pretty easy to see, and he would also go with a desktop.

ishan

Thank you for the reply guys!

I don't want a ZOMGWTFTHATISAWESOME PC but yeah, something that can run the Top PC games launched 2000 - 2015 at high/medium mix settings smoothly.

I like the idea of a good desktop + cheap killer battery netbook. For all I care, I can install something like Ubuntu or Chrome OS on that.

powerpack

banned
Are you going to face VAT? I mean that mostly on a notebook. Can you get Asus or Clevo there? MSI notebooks. If not desktop is the way to go. On a notebook if you have? The VAT is going to kill you on ones I would recommend.

Desktop and netbook is the way to go.

ishan

Yep, we have VAT here. I'll go browse the local electronic store and see what I can get.
Ah, I'm gonna go hit the bed now.

I think I've got the help I needed! Thanks a lot guys, take care.
:)