building a pc and need help

93glouden

i didnt no where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place.

im going to upgrade my current cpu, mobo, ram, psu, case and im not to confident on building it up.

im thinking of getting a AMD 2800 64bit, MSI K8N NEO Platinum Edition mobo, Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB, coolermaster centurion 5 case and a q-tec 550 watt psu.

plus i will be adding some current components from this pc: ATI 9800pro, NEC ND3500 DVD-RW, LG dvd drive, sound card, NIC card, fan controller, floppy.

i just want to no what is going to be the hardest thing to do, i have never installed a cpu before and really quite scared :(

and what do u guys think.....good gaming machine??

red onion

Echo_ said:
if its retail it should be easy since you dont have to mess with thermal paste
I agree--If you get a processor with fan already attached, that would be the way to go. The other stuff is fairly simple, just take it one step at a time.
Yes, your system looks good :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
if its retail it should be easy since you dont have to mess with thermal paste
? I dont see the relevance

the mobo is retail but cpu is oem and comes with a thermaltake fan. not installed
Good ... they use metal clips on their fans not them fragile looking plastic ones

Bigshow1030

No Problem

Praetor gave me some good advice one time......Go to hardwarezone.com. They have some interesting reading material for the first time cpu installer......Pretty self explanitory after that. Praetor is damn near the best thing to having a pro at your side! ;)

93glouden

hhhmmmm i have a couple pcs laying around, one has a p3 and other has a duron. if i take the cpu out and put it in to see if i do it propely would it be kewl,,,,, i mean are any of these cpu's like the 64bit in the installation??

Bobo

banned
93glouden said:
hhhmmmm i have a couple pcs laying around, one has a p3 and other has a duron. if i take the cpu out and put it in to see if i do it propely would it be kewl,,,,, i mean are any of these cpu's like the 64bit in the installation??

??????

You CANNOT put a p3 or a duron in a 64bit slot. I believe that the 2800 iss socket 754, meaning it has 754 pins, and the p3 has like 400-something or whatever. Even if it was the same socket, it would not work if the mobo was not designed for the cpu you want to put in

Echo_

93glouden said:
i just want to no what is going to be the hardest thing to do, i have never installed a cpu before and really quite scared :(

Praetor said:
? I dont see the relevance

he doesnt wanna mess with cpu and i was saying if you have a retail proc all you have to do is snap it to the mobo.

93glouden

no i mean take the cpu out and everything and then fit the cpu to the mobo it was in to see if i do it properly, like does it INSTALL like a 64bit cpu??

Bobo

banned
93glouden said:
no i mean take the cpu out and everything and then fit the cpu to the mobo it was in to see if i do it properly, like does it INSTALL like a 64bit cpu??

The pins won't go in, and you won't be able to put the fan on.

:confused:

Echo_

Bobo said:
The pins won't go in, and you won't be able to put the fan on.

:confused:

huh
you match a triangle on the cpu to a triangle on mobo and place it in very carefull. then you put the hs and hsf on top of it and you snap it in....
its very easy

Bobo said:
Only if it fits......
i was talking about the hs and hsf not the cpu to the mobo

Bobo

banned
Echo_ said:
huh
you match a triangle on the cpu to a triangle on mobo and place it in very carefull. then you put the hs and hsf on top of it and you snap it in....
its very easy

i was talking about the hs and hsf not the cpu to the mobo

Now I getcha