building a pc

b4oba0

hey guys i'm ganna be building a pc...or rather...upgrading it? well basically i'm using my old case and old harddrive and the other drives but i'm getting an entirely new mobo and others...so i'm wondering...what exactly do i need other than a mobo, cpu, ram, and video card? can someone tell me what other things i need? thanx

ReverseFluxx

I'm guessing that since you're using your old case, you're also planning on using your old PSU. You'll want to check that, however, to see if it has enough power for your new components. If it is 300W or smaller, I'd suggest getting a new PSU, as H-Bomb mentioned.

EDIT: Also, make sure your case is compatible with the motherboards you are looking at. Modern motherboards follow the ATX standard, and a lot of cases support that. However, if you have a smaller case, it may only be able to fit a MicroATX, which is just like ATX without some PCI slots, therefore it is smaller.

ilovefishsticks

EDIT: Also, make sure your case is compatible with the motherboards you are looking at. Modern motherboards follow the ATX standard, and a lot of cases support that. However, if you have a smaller case, it may only be able to fit a MicroATX, which is just like ATX without some PCI slots, therefore it is smaller.

agreed. also another mobo issue is if ur case is from a dell, hp, ect.. then u need to get a new one. the usb headers, power cables, ect that go from case to mobo, won't fit. these companys make all the cables into one "chunck" of a cable that dosent fit into mbos exept for theirs.

m0nk3ys1ms

hey guys i'm ganna be building a pc...or rather...upgrading it? well basically i'm using my old case and old harddrive and the other drives but i'm getting an entirely new mobo and others...so i'm wondering...what exactly do i need other than a mobo, cpu, ram, and video card? can someone tell me what other things i need? thanx

You will just need the motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU (Video Card), and PSU. How much are you wanting to spend on these componets. If you have a budget, I'd be glad to come up with some stuff. Also, what kind of drives do you have now that you are wanting to salvage?

b4oba0

well...i dont really have a budget just not over 1000 but i'm buying my parts in taiwan cuz i'll be going there and it'll be cheaper there but i dont want to bring back a case...so i want to use my old case...unfortunately my old case is from compaq so i dont know if it will work...its a compaq presario ...and i'm willing to salvage my hd and my cd and dvd and floppy drives....cuz they work fine..and i need a new fan also...so i dont know if it'll work out...but plz any input or advice would be gladly appreciated

m0nk3ys1ms

well...i dont really have a budget just not over 1000 but i'm buying my parts in taiwan cuz i'll be going there and it'll be cheaper there but i dont want to bring back a case...so i want to use my old case...unfortunately my old case is from compaq so i dont know if it will work...its a compaq presario ...and i'm willing to salvage my hd and my cd and dvd and floppy drives....cuz they work fine..and i need a new fan also...so i dont know if it'll work out...but plz any input or advice would be gladly appreciated

Hmm, if you have a budget of $1000, you can get a fairly nice nice setup with all new componets. The only troubles with using your old stuff is that your motherboard may not fit in the case, and your drives may be slower transfer rates than newer drives. I'll come up with some parts, and I'll try to keep it as cheap as I can.

ilovefishsticks

like I said, u probably will need a new case, but check to make sure (if you do want to, u just open the case and make sure each cable is seperated and not attached together in one big chunk). I would reccomend just buying a new case. I bought a beautiful micro atx case for my server, and it was only 30 bucks (foxconn if u were wondering).

b4oba0

hey guys thanx a lot for the help...if you dont mind can anyone post any specs that they find that they think is worth the money and well anything that you recommend...cuz i'm still deciding...and also i'm not looking for a gaming machine but a more working one...i want it fast and i will be multitasking a lot and a little video editing...and NO i dont want a MAC haha not that i have anything against them

m0nk3ys1ms

hey guys thanx a lot for the help...if you dont mind can anyone post any specs that they find that they think is worth the money and well anything that you recommend...cuz i'm still deciding...and also i'm not looking for a gaming machine but a more working one...i want it fast and i will be multitasking a lot and a little video editing...and NO i dont want a MAC haha not that i have anything against them

What I posted is a killer system for the price, and can handle what you want to throw at it. Since your not going to game, you could downgrade the video card a bit and add another GB of RAM. The RAM will help out with the multitasking and the video editing.

Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007

b4oba0

hey guys so this is what i brought back from taiwan for the price of $750

so...

CPU- intel core 2 duo E6300
GPU- gigabyte Nvidia 6600 256mb
mobo- gigabyte s 965
hdd- 250 gb sata II drive
ram- 2 twinmos 1gb = 2gb ram
psu- some 350w psu... its in the luggage so i dont kno the brand
dvd r and dvd rw by BenQ

please tell me what you guys think..
thanx!

b4oba0

ok so i'm finally home from taiwan and is putting things together...now i have a few more questions...i have placed the cpu, memory, and video cards together with the mobo and also the power unit is connected...now my question is how do i connect my hard drive which is sata II drive and my dvd rw? there is no instruction manuels for them...well not specific enough at least...and theres three cables that came with my mobo which i dont kno what its for...so plz help me!

m0nk3ys1ms

The SATA cable is usually red, and on the motherboard it should say SATA 3GB's or something along the lines of that. Just take one end of that and plug it in one of those slots, and the other end goes into the drive, along with an SATA Power Connector (Should be labeled, its nearly flat). The DVD Burner just uses a ribbon cable which goes from the ATA plug on the motherboard (plug the blue end to the motherboard) and one of the top gray end to the optical drive. It gets power from a 4-pin molex.

b4oba0

screwing around is learning my friend...

i guess you've never screwed around with legos when u were a little kid?