Building a quad system

golden039

I'm running Windows 7 and I am thinking about building another computer so all my stuff will run faster and smother. I'm not sure about an AMD or an Intel? I know I want a quad system because I already have a single and dual so I need to step up one notch. I don't want the top of the line because I'm not rich so what would be the best bang for the buck? I don't know squat about motherboard but I guess it should be able to handle DDR3 memory if I want to keep it over a year. Any suggestions?

JareeB

I'm running Windows 7 and I am thinking about building another computer so all my stuff will run faster and smother. I'm not sure about an AMD or an Intel? I know I want a quad system because I already have a single and dual so I need to step up one notch. I don't want the top of the line because I'm not rich so what would be the best bang for the buck? I don't know squat about motherboard but I guess it should be able to handle DDR3 memory if I want to keep it over a year. Any suggestions?

what do you want to do with this comp?

2048Megabytes

Why would you want your computer to run fast and then smother? I like my system to run smooth and fast. Just joking with ya.

Take a look at all these components:

Phenom II 810 Quad-Core (2.6 gigahertz) Processor - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103650

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard - $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128392

Crucial 4 Gigabytes DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) RAM - $68
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148262

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320 gigabyte Hard Drive - $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e WD3200AAKS

XCLIO GOODPOWER 500 Watt Power Supply - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...IO GOODPOWER

GIGABYTE GZ-X5BPD-500 Black SECC Steel Mid Tower Computer Case - $35

Microsoft Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium - around $100

Link Depot FAN-80-BK 80mm Case Fan - $2.50

Samsung Black 22x Model SH-S222L - $26

I didn't pick a video card, but you are going to need one. Spend around $70 on one.

Total is $597 without shipping costs.

Bodaggit23

I don't want the top of the line because I'm not rich so what would be the best bang for the buck?

Any DDR3 system will be higher end, as it's the best platform available.

What Dual Core system do you have right now?

It might not be worth investing right now if you can't take the leap to
something better than you already have.

JakeUSMC

Any DDR3 system will be higher end, as it's the best platform available.

What Dual Core system do you have right now?

It might not be worth investing right now if you can't take the leap to
something better than you already have.

c'mon DU he just described AMD to you and you ask him about dual core systems and tell him not to get anything at all?

Bodaggit23

c'mon DU he just described AMD to you and you ask him about dual core systems and tell him not to get anything at all?
Are you trying to say "DUH"?

I simply asked what he currently has, to verify that will upgrade will be worth it.

Contribute to the thread or STFU. :good:

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Are you trying to say "DUH"?

I simply asked what he currently has, to verify that will upgrade will be worth it.

Contribute to the thread or STFU. :good:

+1

If you don't have masses of money, AMD, DDR2 would probably be better, but if you are willing to spend maybe an extra $40 or so on better memory and mobo, then go DDR3, it will be better for future upgrade

Also, if you want it for video editing or gaming and you need a video card, ATi would be better because there are more motehrboards that are crossfire and AMD aswell as ones designed for ATi GPUs that have AMD chips, AMD CPU's and ATi GPU's are made by the same company after all so no surprise :p Also an ATi card is just as good as an equivelant nvidia but generally for cheaper.

lukie01

Definetly go with an Intel. I would go with a Intel Core Quad or go with the Intel i7. There both very good CPU's but the i7 it's a very good CPU. If you were to go maybe you should go with a 3.30GHz. 4GB DDR3 and go with a Windows XP 64bit. Vista is good but it's slow and you may as well get a lesser Operating System than getting a better one and not getting the best performance you can get. Also when you build your computer change around your BIOS settings to get the best peformance.

Hope I can help

luke

BigSteve702

Definetly go with an Intel. I would go with a Intel Core Quad or go with the Intel i7. There both very good CPU's but the i7 it's a very good CPU. If you were to go maybe you should go with a 3.30GHz. 4GB DDR3 and go with a Windows XP 64bit. Vista is good but it's slow and you may as well get a lesser Operating System than getting a better one and not getting the best performance you can get. Also when you build your computer change around your BIOS settings to get the best peformance.

Hope I can help

luke

well, he said he isnt rich right? also, 4gb ddr3 would be pointless, youd be stuck in dual channel. gotta get 3 or 6 gb, etc.

id go with a phenom 2, pick one you can afford as they all overclock nicely. an amd mobo and processor combo should come out to be at least 100 bucks cheaper than the intel combo. search around on newegg and find what you like, all you have to match is ram type supported and cpu sockets really. after that its just preference-what you want on the mobo, what case you like, what graphics card you like, a decent power supply thats strong enough... etc.