Building a Steam server

The VCR King

Later I plan to build a server and use it to host a TF2 server in Steam, and before I go planning I have some questions...

1. Do I need a SERVER tower or can I make do with an old desktop PC formatted to run server/VM?

2. If I bought a PC with an older processor, would a Pentium II support my server needs?

3. I like how this old machine on eBay looks. Will it work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Microsy...338608?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item2c91107fb0

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
None of what you have in mind will host a TF2 server. You can use a regular desktop, yes, but it needs to be fairly current and up to date spec wise. Even when I ran a Minecraft server on some old ProLiant servers (from around 2003/2004) the server still lagged.

fade2green514

if it were me I'd get a xeon with some ecc ram & running 32+gb of ram. but hey, who wants to do things right nowadays?

that old ebay thing will probably not even run Microsoft word well. lol

Geoff

VIP Member
Later I plan to build a server and use it to host a TF2 server in Steam, and before I go planning I have some questions...

1. Do I need a SERVER tower or can I make do with an old desktop PC formatted to run server/VM?

2. If I bought a PC with an older processor, would a Pentium II support my server needs?

3. I like how this old machine on eBay looks. Will it work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Microsy...338608?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item2c91107fb0
Are you serious? For $200 you can buy a much better computer, honestly you should have to pay to get rid of that server, no one would pay that for it.

A regular desktop would work, but as voyagerfan said it needs to be somewhat current to host a full game lobby. You will also need a decent internet speed, what is your upload/download speed?

beers

Staff member
lol, the Sun you listed doesn't even have an x86 processor..

I would just run it on a VM. Then, when you discover your home ISP's upload both sucks enough not to facilitate a reasonable amount of clients but also presents all users high latency through excessive Internet hops, you can just rent a dedicated server from somewhere instead.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Most ISPs frown on home users operating servers. Mine (Verizon DSL) specifically forbids it in their Terms of Service.