Building affordable Gaming Desktop...Need Review!

Supra

New Member
Ok, so I'm trying to put together a really good gaming desktop for present and future gaming. My CPU on my old computer just went out and now I think (after 6-7 yrs with the old PC) it's time to upgrade. I am mostly a console gamer and I'm building this PC for the sole purpose of playing Starcraft 2 (when it FINALLY come out) and maybe some web browsing. I'm sure some bigger and better game will come out in the future and I would like to be as prepared as I can be.

What I'm keeping from old PC:
Case: Case was bought maybe 2 yrs ago. It's a mid tower ATX case.

HD: I have a sata 7200rpm 60GB HD that I still haven't come close
to filling up. Going to format that and put in on the new system.

Monitor: It's an old CRT 17'' monitor (I will eventually purchase a
nice SINGLE 23''-24'' monitor)

Drives: Old DVD/CD RW drive (works fine) and standard 3.5 floppy

Mouse/Keyboard: Gaming mouse w/1600dpi and good keyboard
(both fairly new)

OS: Microsoft Windows 7

New Parts:
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR
3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4
GBRL

GRAPHICS CARD: XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit
DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
Support Video Card*

*Eventually I would like to buy another card and run Crossfire. (maybe in next 6-7 months when SC2 release date is official)

PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with
Core i7

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3
125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX

I would have ultimately like to stick around $500, but I liked all the parts in this config and everything came out to $590 AFTER rebates, so I'm not complaining.

PLEASE comment and make any suggestions.

Thanks so much
 
Looks ok. The only problem I can see is the ripjaw memory. Not that its not good memory, but AMD boards have the memory slots so close to the CPU bracket. If you run memory with higher then normal heatshields and have a bigger aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan cooler they can hit the memory shields. Not a problem if your just going to use the stock CPU heatsink.
 
Hey, thanks so much for the quick response StrangleHold. Could you maybe recommend some different memory? I would like to run 4GB.

Also, I usually like to upgrade my heatsink from the OEM, but haven't done any homework on them yet. Could you recommend a solid (affordable) heatsink with that 955 Phenom?
 
If you want to keep it cheap thats the best you can do but if you were to spend a little more i would reccomend to upgrade the video card to a 5850 as which you will not need to crossfire for a LONG time and allow you to upgrade in a couple years very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227503&cm_re=20-227-_-20-227-503-_-Product is a little shorter i do believe im not too sure though plus its pretty cheap as well

for heatsinks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...uniq_tower_120_extreme-_-35-154-011-_-Product this has been rated #1 cooler in a few reviews ive seen that actually ranked them but it is $60 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ic_freezer_7_pro_rev.2-_-35-186-134-_-Product is $20 cheaper and works really well. There is also a open box version for ~$20 if you wanna go that route.
 
Last edited:
Hey, thanks so much for the quick response StrangleHold. Could you maybe recommend some different memory? I would like to run 4GB.

Also, I usually like to upgrade my heatsink from the OEM, but haven't done any homework on them yet. Could you recommend a solid (affordable) heatsink with that 955 Phenom?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231320

How much you want to spend on a heatsink?
 
The advice I give to everyone on the 5770 in CF is to just get the 5850 to start. CF has issues, some games work well, some do not, software problems, microstuter, etc. One single strong card is better than 2 cards in CF rated near the same. I learned this the hard way.

The 5850 cost more though, about $300 for the card. Good luck.
 
My CPU on my old computer just went out and now I think (after 6-7 yrs with the old PC) it's time to upgrade.

Monitor: It's an old CRT 17'' monitor (I will eventually purchase a
nice SINGLE 23''-24'' monitor)

Just know - when you build for gaming - your gaming experience will in no way compare to a new monitor when you upgrade.

I started my new build with an old 17" Dell Monitor that I got with a Dell package 5 or 6 years ago. I was playing COD World at War - and when I finally upgraded to a 1920x1080 monitor - it was like playing an entirely new game.

I saw things that just were not viewable on my old CRT monitor.

Enjoy your build - just don't be too disappointed when the pic on your CRT monitor is below your console gaming screen on a TV.
 
Just know - when you build for gaming - your gaming experience will in no way compare to a new monitor when you upgrade.

I started my new build with an old 17" Dell Monitor that I got with a Dell package 5 or 6 years ago. I was playing COD World at War - and when I finally upgraded to a 1920x1080 monitor - it was like playing an entirely new game.

I saw things that just were not viewable on my old CRT monitor.

Enjoy your build - just don't be too disappointed when the pic on your CRT monitor is below your console gaming screen on a TV.

LOL, my buddies been telling me the same thing for what seems like 8yrs now and I told him once I get SC2 I'll be upgrading the monitor...but good lookin out Jamin43 ;)
 
The advice I give to everyone on the 5770 in CF is to just get the 5850 to start. CF has issues, some games work well, some do not, software problems, microstuter, etc. One single strong card is better than 2 cards in CF rated near the same. I learned this the hard way.

The 5850 cost more though, about $300 for the card. Good luck.

Gabe63...I'm hoping my gaming experience, for the most part, with SC2 will be just as exceptional on a SINGLE 5770 (taking price into consideration of course) as it would be on the 5850. Knowing me, I will get too lazy in the future to think about finally running the crossfire in hopes that the single will be plenty sufficient...hehe...and if I can run a single 5770 perfectly with SC2, by the time I stop playing that game, maybe I'll upgrade and get the (hypothetically)8850 ;P

To Anyone:
Do you think a single is sufficient enough, that being said?

Thanks in advance.
 
If you want to keep it cheap thats the best you can do but if you were to spend a little more i would reccomend to upgrade the video card to a 5850 as which you will not need to crossfire for a LONG time and allow you to upgrade in a couple years very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227503&cm_re=20-227-_-20-227-503-_-Product is a little shorter i do believe im not too sure though plus its pretty cheap as well

for heatsinks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...uniq_tower_120_extreme-_-35-154-011-_-Product this has been rated #1 cooler in a few reviews ive seen that actually ranked them but it is $60 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ic_freezer_7_pro_rev.2-_-35-186-134-_-Product is $20 cheaper and works really well. There is also a open box version for ~$20 if you wanna go that route.

Thanks artanis, I'm looking into getting one of those.
 
Gabe63...I'm hoping my gaming experience, for the most part, with SC2 will be just as exceptional on a SINGLE 5770 (taking price into consideration of course) as it would be on the 5850. Knowing me, I will get too lazy in the future to think about finally running the crossfire in hopes that the single will be plenty sufficient...hehe...and if I can run a single 5770 perfectly with SC2, by the time I stop playing that game, maybe I'll upgrade and get the (hypothetically)8850 ;P

To Anyone:
Do you think a single is sufficient enough, that being said?

Thanks in advance.

No problem, I just want to make sure people are informed.

Here is a link to a review that shows the cards

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=5

Quote from the review. "Looking at the 5770 compared to the 5850, $100 buys you roughly 50% more performance."

I had a hard time finding a review with CS2 but it looks like that game is not demanding and would play fine on the 5770.
 
Back
Top