Building Checklist Help Wanted.

dennykyser

I am trying to gain some insight on building, and have read a lot on here and have to say great board here, very helpful.

This is my first stage of planning and want to get some imput on what I am planning and also if I have figured about the right $$$ for the items.

Plan on going Pentium 4 Dual process.

$100 Case
$130 Mobo
$243 Pent D Processor 820 Dual Core (2.8)
$150 XP Pro
$75 1 Gig DDR2 Ram (2 X 516)
$80 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
$50 DVD/CD Burner

Am I missing anything?
Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks eveyrone for all the help. :D

alanuofm

VIP Member
thats an alright set up for a value computer. you might want to spend some more to get a better psu and video card. everything else seems fine. what is ur budget like?

dennykyser

alanuofm said:
thats an alright set up for a value computer. you might want to spend some more to get a better psu and video card. everything else seems fine. what is ur budget like?

Dont need a monitor, keyboard or mouse and budget is about $900.00

I have lots of external storage so dont need too much HD.
What would you sugest for a psu?

ckfordy

banned
dennykyser said:
Dont need a monitor, keyboard or mouse and budget is about $900.00

I have lots of external storage so dont need too much HD.
What would you sugest for a psu?

i would go for an antec or enermax between 400-500 watt
and up that videocard i have the x300 not the se but it sucks get a 100 to 200 dollar one

XHotxEx791

Don't forget arctic silver 5 thermal compound and windows. A decent psu would be a rosewill 550watt for around $55. Graphics card wise, i'd suggest a 6600gt at least for $164.

dennykyser

Do any cases come with these psu, or do you just junk their psu and install a good one?

Do these PSU's you have mentioned come with manuals?

Vampiric Rouge

dennykyser if a case comes with a psu about 9 times out of 10 its a junky one, i would say that you should get a nicer one and also def get a nicer video card. you can get an okay x800 for like $200USD if you can afford it. i know with my system i'm waiting for my cash for my video card and a HSF. but when i get them the totals going to be about $900USD.

Vampiric Rouge

Oh and one last thing, Why XP PRO? Just Get XP Home I have yet to find anyone that can tell me an actual difference that is important and you save about $50-$70USD. Just a thought to free up some extra cash. :D

alanuofm

VIP Member
Vampiric Rouge said:
Oh and one last thing, Why XP PRO? Just Get XP Home I have yet to find anyone that can tell me an actual difference that is important and you save about $50-$70USD. Just a thought to free up some extra cash. :D

xp home has more network capabilities, remote desktop (not remote assistance), multi processor support, you can encrypt individual files or folders for security reasons, roaming profiles...the list goes on. xp pro all the way.