Building computer... Need 2nd opinions

mtucker23

Building new one. These are the parts to be gathered. Any qualms or issues that anyone would know about or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Powmax - CP769PL - ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and 400Watt Power Supply -Black

Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz / 1MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / HyperThreading / Processor

Seagate / 120GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-150 / OEM / Hard Drive

iConcepts Wireless PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Combo (Black)

MSI 925X Neo-Platinum Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / PCI-Express / Audio / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Gigabit LAN / Serial ATA / RAID

Mushkin Dual Channel 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Intel / Socket 775 / Intel Prescott 3.4Ghz / Ball Bearing / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan

Sapphire Radeon X600 Pro / 256MB / PCI Express / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upg. Serv. Pack 2

Asus CRW-5232AS / 52x32x52 CD-RW / QuieTrack Beige CD Burner

Funzo6785

banned
looks pretty good

It looks pretty good, you should be able to play modern games no prob. I mean, if I can play Doom 3 on high with Vertica sync on, antianalysing at 16x, and resolution at 1600*1200, then you should be able to play them too.

Bobo

banned
Looks good to me except for the no-name cooler. What brand is that?

Funzo6785 said:
you should be able to play modern games no prob. I mean, if I can play Doom 3 on high with Vertica sync on, antianalysing at 16x, and resolution at 1600*1200, then you should be able to play them too.
Not everybody games:p

mtucker23

wow, I wasn't expecting replies! Thanks so much! This computer is really going to be for an office, run microsoft applications and such. But the guy gave me a 1200 dollar budget, and doesn't want to have to do anything for a few years. I figure such a computer would be the best way... and yes, some games will be played on it. :) Thank you so much.

The cooler is an Intel Socket 775 cooler. Should i do better like a Thermaltake volcano better... or am I ok with the Intel? no overclocking will be done.

chey

Do you really think you will be able to use this computer in an office for running little applications? I don't think it so... You will play on it all the day!

Bobo

banned
chey said:
You will play on it all the day!

I'm surprised you can play on it at all!:eek:

Anyway, everything looks good to me, but I don't think you need the x600. I would go more with an x350 all-in-wonder, (or whatever they make) just because it has much better capabilities

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Powmax - CP769PL - ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and 400Watt Power Supply -Black
Consider a nonPowmax PSU

MSI 925X Neo-Platinum Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / PCI-Express / Audio / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Gigabit LAN / Serial ATA / RAID
Sapphire Radeon X600 Pro / 256MB / PCI Express / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card
Seems like an awful bottleneckewd system

I mean, if I can play Doom 3 on high with Vertica sync on, antianalysing at 16x, and resolution at 1600*1200, then you should be able to play them too.
Yes but the thing is, you cant.

Prolly intel stock; which is pretty damn good :)

wow, I wasn't expecting replies! Thanks so much! This computer is really going to be for an office, run microsoft applications and such. But the guy gave me a 1200 dollar budget, and doesn't want to have to do anything for a few years. I figure such a computer would be the best way... and yes, some games will be played on it
Office computer... ok so that justifies the X600 (you might consider X300SE and save/pocket some money). By why the 925X?

I'm surprised you can play on it at all!
Uh... why?

Bobo

banned
Echo_ said:
id get a reg 6600 over an x600

I'd get an all-in-wonder....., but:
mtucker said:
This computer is really going to be for an office, run microsoft applications and such.
if that is true, you shouldn't be playing extensive (if any) games, therefore, you would be just fine with integrated gfx

oops:

mtucker said:
But the guy gave me a 1200 dollar budget, and doesn't want to have to do anything for a few years.

If that is so, then I would recommend a workstation gfx card....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
id get a reg 6600 over an x600
Considering this is a business machine a 6600 is prolly overkill....

But the guy gave me a 1200 dollar budget, and doesn't want to have to do anything for a few years.
Invest in the core of the system (cpu, mobo, ram, hdd) :)

If that is so, then I would recommend a workstation gfx card....
Whoa ... overkill again :p

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Considering this is a business machine a 6600 is prolly overkill....
That's what I keep saying....
Praetor said:
Whoa ... overkill again :p
Well, it depends. It might be used for something else in the future.....and why not a wkst card? Not all of them are expensive (I think):rolleyes:

mtucker23

well as far as me playing games, my father owns the company. I just work for him. Some guy needed the computer upgrade, and put me in charge. I haven't ordered it yet... which is good because now Praetor told me of a bottleneck. I guess I should bring down the video card. I can't tell you all how much i appreciate your help.

Yeti

VIP Member
Praetor.... could you explain the bottleneck?!? please?
Don't mean to speak for Praetor, but I think he meant that the gfx card would be a bottleneck if the computer were used for gaming, which its not so your fine. IMO the setup looks fine. If you're not gaming you could get by with a lesser gfx card, integrated even. I would probably get a better PSU, I had a Powmax which, though not terrible, wasn't the greatest quality. A thermaltake purepower 420 would work. You might want to have a DVD capable optical drive or even a DVD-R. I know I'm always backing up large files from my work computer and it would be nice to have the ability to write to a DVD.

Bobo

banned
Yeti said:
D If you're not gaming you could get by with a lesser gfx card, integrated even.
Yes, but I would recommend an all-in-wonder just for the versatility. And IGP is not good b/c eventually it blows

Yeti

VIP Member
Yes, but I would recommend an all-in-wonder just for the versatility.
Why would you want an AIW if all you need (or are ever going to use) is a regular graphics card?
And IGP is not good b/c eventually it blows
You state that like its a fact.

Bobo

banned
Yeti said:
Why would you want an AIW if all you need (or are ever going to use) is a regular graphics card?
I dunno, you can just do more things with it....
Yeti said:
You state that like its a fact.
It probably is.....2 old('94-'95) comps that had IGP, both blew, end of both, couldnt' switch it to a card.....but that prolly won't happen for this one. A card is better anyway, no matter what.

Funzo6785

banned
Bobo said:

Not everybody games:p

well, all I was pointing out is that you have to have a powerful PC to play games like that.