Building Custom Desktop, budget under $1500

ezelisko

Ok. Umm...

I have read over what everyone has said about 3-4 times and I believe my head is about to explode. Listen, I am still learning/catching up on what the tech world has to offer. I am slowly becoming familiar to the hardware aspect of computers.

I will cut to the chase though. The intel/AMD stuff is silly in my opinion. However, if any individual feels that there is a better (please ensure cheaper as well) set up that will produce more for a longer period of time, I respectfully invite them to post the stats. I am extremely grateful for all the information that everyone has put out there, both AMD and intel side. This is the second computer that I am building for gaming. The first one I built with mostly spare parts from my friend as well as a few parts that I purchased.

Also, when/if you post the stuff, please try to explain it to me barney style. Like I said, I am really really grateful for all the information that people have put out here. Initially, I went with AMD because I was told the performance matches up with the price extremely well if you learn what you are doing. I have nothing against either intel or AMD. Here are the games I want this computer to run:

WOW
SWTOR
Starcraft 2
Rift
The Secret World

If those games can work on this one at the highest settings (don't worry, I know that the internet connection has a strong role to play) and that the computer will last me 2+ years before I have to switch out anything. I know thats asking for a great deal, although I believe I can accomplish it.

Thank you all for your help.

wolfeking

banned
Quite simply put: Get whichever CPU that allows you to get a stronger GPU. The GPU will net more performance in games than the CPU can. Once you get to quad core, buying better CPUs is just tossing money at a non-issue.

That said, I firmly hold that you get a FX *3** series processor, as they are brilliant gaming, and cheaper than intel.

spirit

Staff member
Yes if you're going to get AMD, definitely get Vishera (83xx) over Bulldozer (81xx). Vishera is much better.

Okedokey

Put simply the only thing AMD has in its favour is thread count. If you're going to get a CPU, get the one with the highest efficiency per clock cycle (Intel) and the highest overclock ability (intel).

Go with Wolfe if you want, but don't come back in a few years and say, damint, not only do I have to upgrade my GPU to play modern games at 1080p, I have to upgrade my mobo, cpu and windows licence (linked to the motherboard). All for not spending 40 bucks, now. lol. Oh and its slower now let alone the future. Dude, don't be sucked in by the teenage budget, spend the extra bit, get the goods, you will thank me later.

This is a completely stupid arguement. The 2500K is faster in all computing on average and the same price.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Quite simply put: Get whichever CPU that allows you to get a stronger GPU. The GPU will net more performance in games than the CPU can. Once you get to quad core, buying better CPUs is just tossing money at a non-issue.

That said, I firmly hold that you get a FX *3** series processor, as they are brilliant gaming, and cheaper than intel.

Freakin lies. Brilliant is a massive overstatement for a mediocre cpu. One you haven't owned. And one that benches worse in anything real. Plus it generates heat like nothing else and needs a more powerful PSU.

SAME PRICE! In fact you cannot find an AMD system based on a 8350 cheaper and they get toasted by Intel.

This is getting rediculous.

You know what OP, if the facts don't convince you, get the AMD. Ill have another laugh later. The point here is, for 220 bucks the 2500K or the 3570K (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233&Tpk=3570) which are are a better CPU, not only for gaming, but for general computing (thats not even considering OC).

I give up... hahah actually go ahead ill have a laugh.

Put more concisely

AMD remains deeply uncompetitive in primarily single threaded applications such as games without offering the significant benefits in multi-threaded applications you’d expect from a chip boasting eight cores. Peak power consumption remains higher than Intel too and it’s these fundamental issues that mean the FX-8350 just isn’t a competitive CPU. Despite the drop in price, there’s almost no reason to opt for the FX-8350 in comparison to the Intel competition; it seems that while AMD’s changed lots of little things about the FX-8350, the end result remains largely the same.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/8

If you wanna save money, get the phenom (same performance as the 8350), else get the 2500K or the 3750K for 214 - even better. pretty simple. btw, both fit in same mobo.

rest my case

Last edited:

ezelisko

No need to get overly rude about point in case information. I will be looking over everything that was said and figure out how much it will cost me as well as other things. Like I said, I am still learning quite a bit in the realm of building custom computers. Again, though, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it from everyone.

ezelisko

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($305.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1469.77

These are the adjustments I made just in case I went intel. Was/is there any discrepancies on it before I start to figure out what I want to do. Just want to make sure I got it down right. I just want two systems to stand toe to toe and figure which one works. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Jiniix

go with wolfe if you want, but don't come back in a few years and say, damint, not only do i have to upgrade my gpu to play modern games at 1080p, i have to upgrade my mobo, cpu and windows licence (linked to the motherboard).

bigfella, you should relax and think your posts through.

1. With the setup Wolfe suggested, he could buy a better GPU. So you're arguing against yourself on that part.
2. Windows license bound to the motherboard? No?

To OP:
I haven't had a chance to play with the new Vishera chips (AMD X3XX), but I have played around with many 2500k's and 2600k's.
The 2500k is definitely not a bad chip, and in my opinion, worth the money for gaming. I've had them running at 5.2GHz and it's all been jolly-good.
I would however suggest that you go with the setup that allows you to buy the best graphics card.
If you could get an 8320 and a 7950 over 2500k + 7850/7870, I would recommend the 7950 setup.

This, for example, is a terrible advice though. You need a much better motherboard with either chip.

Good luck :)

spirit

Staff member
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($305.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1469.77

These are the adjustments I made just in case I went intel. Was/is there any discrepancies on it before I start to figure out what I want to do. Just want to make sure I got it down right. I just want two systems to stand toe to toe and figure which one works. Thanks for the help.

Yes this is a good build but you can save money.

If this is for gaming only, get an i5 3570K.

You would be fine with a cheaper board too, the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H is cheaper and would work perfectly fine, as would the UD5H.

Rest looks great! I would advise buying it all from Newegg though. :)

ezelisko

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($305.99 @ Amazon) Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ Newegg) Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC) Total: $1159.77

Wow, that is a fairly big difference in price. Because of how much lower the watts went, I was able to drop the power supply significantly. It's at an estimated 376W, so I figured 450W should be fine, even for overclocking (which i probably will do once I learn how to OR I will have someone else do it for me.)

Thanks for the info on this one. I am leaning toward this one due to the price, although I will probably revise my other one as well. I also found a case that is cheaper and still very effective, so I might get that and drop the price another 40-50 dollars. The case is Azza Solano 1000R ATX Full Tower. It's $87.99 compared to $144.99.

Let me know what you think Spirit. I appreciate your advice and the fact you seem to show little biasm one way or another.

spirit

Staff member
I wouldn't get that PSU. 450W isn't enough for a 7950 and isn't a terribly great PSU either. For a 7950, I'd recommend you get a Corsair TX 650 V2. That'd be perfect. :)

Have you looked at the NZXT Phantom case? It's the same sort of cost as the HAF IIRC (might even be cheaper), but I just prefer it. The case is your decision though. :)

Jiniix

I agree with spirit. For the system you've picked I would not go under 600w. You may be 100-200w above what it actually uses, but it's a good idea.
And if you go 650-700w, you have enough power to add a second GPU in the future, if you feel like it's needed.

Last edited:

ezelisko

I have my build. Well, everything excluding the video card is in this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1050020

The video card is this:
VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($305.99 @ Amazon)

The power source should be good enough for me to add a second card in the future. Might get another VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card if I want to go 2-3 monitor. Not getting greedy as of right now, though.

Thanks for all the feedback. If push comes to shove, and I don't want this comp that much, I will probably give it to my GF, as she games. Then I may begin the obsession for that AMD computer that I was looking at....but I probably will want to hold onto this one for awhile.

wbt50

Looks like a good setup to me, although from what I've heard I wouldn't have gone for a Cooler Master PSU, but that's just me :D

spirit

Staff member
The PSU is all right. Cooler Master do make some bad PSUs, but I think that one will be fine. :)

ezelisko

It came with the package deal. The motherboard was still the same, so I was happy. It should work. I will let you guys know. Thanks for everything on finding these things.

Funny thing:
GF is going into graphic design/animation/somthing along those lines because she wants to work for BioWare
I bought her a computer that she loves, but I know what will happen once she gets to play on mine.

1. She will try to convince me to keep it at her place.
2. She will attempt to unsuccessfully take over the comp.
3. Pouting will commence
4. She will eventually win, because i am weak willed against her :p

So I will enjoy this computer while I can....

StrangleHold

Staff member
Most of the Silent Pro models are made by either CWT or Enhance. The RS850 though is made by FSP, still not a bad supply.

ezelisko

Can't really change what is on the bundle. Wish I could. THat would be crazy good :). Anyway, I plan on getting an additional video card of the same variety. Would that work, or would it be a better idea to get somthing different?