Building Full Comp for Under $1000

What did you think of my first forum post on this site. 1-10?

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doobieus916

Well im sure you get this a lot so I will do my best.

Ok well im looking to build a solid gaming PC for $1000, I only have a few requirements....

Motherboard
------------
4-8 max gigs of ddr2 "667 standard preferred"

PCI express x16 "2 slots preferred for future upgrades"

P4 HT compatible that supports at least 2.8 GHz "for upgrades"

passably 775 socket

CPU
----
2.5+

HT "833 FSB"

Video Card
-----------
Anything as long as its PCI express 16x

256 ddr2 "or ddr3... I forget what its at now"

Drives
------

1 reliable DvD burner

1 floppy drive

Monitor
-------
at least '17 CRT flat panel "not the LCD"

Keyboard
---------
something logitech "please no ergonomic or w/e"

Case
-----
i have a specific case in mind

RAIDMAX RX-9 SE ATX-911SEB Black

Ram
----
2 gig of ddr2 "667 please"

Hard Drive
--------------
150-200gig 7200rpm

Power Supply
------------
Whatever will support what i listed and then some i guess "just in case"

OS
---
Please xp pro only

well that seems to be about it so please if u have any other input or advice on my choice of desired spec please feel free and also go ahead and get technical if u have to i know some im just up to date with the newest stuff :p
so thank you for any input you may have. "the 1000 doesn't include shipping just please try to keep it down ;)"

Last edited:

SlothX311

you can get soooo much more for you money if you go with an AMD system instead of an Intel based one....why do you want an Intel for gaming anyhow, AMDs blow away Intels in the gaming bracket.....i would do this system.....

3700+ San Diego Core
939 Asus mobo, SLI if you want it
nvidia 7 series card
1 or 2 gigs of RAM
whatev hard drive you want

your just gonna spend more for an Intel based system, and your not gonna get the same preformance out of it, take me for example......

I had a P4 @ 3.06ghz with HT and a gig of ram....i also i had a 6800 GT OC
I now have a 3500+ @2.2 ghz and a slower card (7600gs) and i get like 50-75 fps better on various games....

ChrisHarris

I like my Intel, but thats only because i've never tried an AMD. I'm gathering parts to build an AMD right now. We'll see which does better.

SlothX311

ok you have a 3ghz with 800mhz fsb p4, you also have 2 gigs of RAM, and a 7800GS through an AGP bus....

i have a cheapo 3500+ and my system would rape yours or most other intel systems in various games...not trying to be mean or brag (cause my system is nothing to brag about lol) im just trying to prove my point...

the funny thing is unless you spend more than like $750 on just the processor in an Intel based system, you would have a hard time keeping up with my cheapo 3500+, so i would say its smart to go with AMD if your main use for the computer is gaming

UT2K4
Wolfenstein
Doom3
Farcry

ChrisHarris

We basically have the same ram and video card. Only difference is the CPU.

You might win--but I don't think your going to "rape" me.

Have you run 3D Mark 06 yet?

ChrisHarris

I got 3095 for my main score.
912 for my CPU.
Can't remember the other 2 numbers off hand--but they were both in the low--mid 1300. Like 1331 and 1340--something like that.

suprasteve

ok back to the topic at hand, check out the Computer Specs 101 page, it will give you a good idea of what to look for. ANd currently an AMD processor will perform better with games compared to a similarly priced intel, but intels for the most part do everything else better, with the exception of the X2's which do as well as the intels. If you're not planning on getting the comp for awhile, intel's new conroe chipset is coming out sometime Q3 and initial results seem to show that it kicks the crap out of AMD's current best processors even in games, just something to consider