Building i5 rig, oh yeah! xD

Matthew1990

New Member
So I finally decided to proceed with my plans. For the start I already have the case, hard drive and the GTS 250 which is still preety good for gaming at 1680/1050. So I am looking for RAM, Mobo and I still can't decide betweeen Corsair 650W or Antec 750W. This is what I came up with:

CPU = http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Inte...66Ghz-(Lynnfield)-8M-Cache-LGA1156-CPU-Retail

RAM = http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...1333)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24

Mobo = http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigabyte-GA-P55-US3L-Intel-P55-Motherboard-LGA1156


PSU = http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650W...rgy-efficient-quiet-and-cool-fully-compatible

OR

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/750W-Antec-EarthWatts-PSU

I know it is preety budget i5 but it is a move forward and it will give me some future proofness since I can just pop in i7 and some GTX3XX when I get the money.
 
Probably for i5 ASUS mobos will be most stable and most overclockable but price obviously much higher, especially for newer CPU sockets
 
Change it something different possibly?

I've got 3x Corsair and 1x OCZ for around the same price.

Corsair XMS3 Twin3X 4gb (2x2gb) PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 DDR3
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-XMS3-...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN?hash=item4834c1fa4f


Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-6GB-3...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN?hash=item3efac61f6a


Corsair Dominator (2x2048MB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-Domin...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN?hash=item4ceaec1821


OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OCZ-DDR3-PC3-...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN?hash=item20ae838b58


 
I am not going Triple Channel. The guy in review says that Corsair 1600MHZ runs at 1333MHz in this mobo, which is still OK I think.
 
"This RAM is good, easy to install and works well, however, its meant to run at 1600Mhz and 1.65v which for some mobos is an overclocked setting. On my Asus P7P55D LGA1156 socket (quick find 173451), It can use DDR3 RAM upto 1333Mhz as default, however, requires an overclock to use the 1600Mhz this card offers. unfortunately when I did up the settings, the RAM proved unstable. This is why it is only 4 stars. The RAM works perfectly well at 1333Mhz and thats where ive left it."

I can't seem to find 1333MHz RAM on ebuyer.
 
From ASUS support forum, the guy says it works at 1333MHz and should go higher when I increase the bus speed, I think I am going to risk it.....
 
Back
Top