Building kids' computer

dave_w

Okay, after a thorough searching of Microsoft's online help, I can't find any restriction on the For System Builders thing. I was working off of bad info, and was a dope to boot!

To be sure, why not place a call to customer service? Then at least you can always blame them later.

The only other thing I can say is that perhaps it would be a good idea to figure out every program and peripheral you plan on using, and then checking to make sure it's compatible with Vista. Lots of wierd stuff going on with the OS still, which is why I'm waiting to move up to it on my rig. You should also consider a dual-boot setup with XP Pro and Vista. That can get a little complicated, I've heard, but nothing you can't figure out or get help with on here.

drs

Thanks for the advice. I bought some great deals on newegg -- coolermaster cosmos case with $90 MIR; power supply $0 after MIR; etc.
Bought the Q6600 and will buy the 8800GT video card once they are in stock.
The only thing I haven't settled on is the MOBO. I need a board that is easy to install and very stable. Not too worried about being able to OC ... more concerned about future upgrades a year or two down the road and the MOBO operating without a glitch for a long time.
If anyone has the perfect board(s) in mind, please share your thoughts. thanks. drs

JSpecGC8

Seems like your going in the right direction, I would go with the Intel Chipset and not the 680i boards as they will not be supporting ALL the new CPUs to be released in the future.

spanky

You made a list of almost exactly what I posted at the beginning of this thread... and I gave reasons why.

spanky

You made a list of almost exactly what I posted at the beginning of this thread... and I gave reasons why.