Building my computor

guitarplay

HI, I am looking to maby build a computor for myself. What i need is preety specific, and I am going to name what I need, and maby someone can help me/ advise me.

1. Motherboard and case that can have everything I need
2. Intel Pentium 4/xeon or AMD Athlon/Opteron
3. average sound card
4. 250 gig hard drive
5. cd and dvd drive (at least cd burner, hopefully dvd burner)
6. 2 gigs of ram
7. ATI FireGL X3-256 or FireGL T2-128 graphics card (APG 8X/4X)
8. 350 watt power suply or more
9. compatible with windows XP and hopefully Linux
10. Must be able to run verry detaild graphics programs (MAYA) so verything has to be above decent, as well as anything that will prevent it from slowing down will need to be high quality

there are other graphics cards that can be used, but so far those are the ones ive looked into. If you think I should use something better, please tell me I belive ther are some nvidia and gefore stuff I can use as well, but I would have to check specs.

if anyone could help that would be great. Im kinda new but I understand what I need, and all I need help with is figuring out absolutly everything I need, and where I should get it from.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Greggie Boy

I'd suggest that you first decide on a budget. What currency US ? CDN? other?
What is you main purpose for the pc.. Gaming? Surfing ?
The more deail you provide the easier it will beto assist you.
You could list the components you like(with links) and memberscan be of great assistance to you.
Not much sense suggesting $ 2500.00 of products when you only want to spend $ 1200.00
Take your time,no-ones going anywhere

guitarplay

ok, whel Il get some links, but that is kinda what im looking for. Th thing is, most everything I listed is necesary to what Im doing. I would like the DVD drive, but thats not necesary. I guess I could go with a less of a hard drive 120-150 or something. Those are the only things in my list that Can be changed. I could use a 300 watt power suply but I want to be safe, 400 would be nice. Those arnt the expensive things though.

one of those graphics card goes from $800-1,000 (I use the American dollar)
the other on is less powerfull but is for the same thing it is like $300.

Ill show you what im building for, I dont know all that much about the hertz or if its DDR 400 or whaterver.

T2 and X3 T2 is like $255 and X3 is $755

here are the requirments for maya (the program) I am in need of a new computor, and the only thing im realy getting that is so specific is the graphics card and the extra gig of ram. (512 required 1-2 gigs recomended so i thought what the hell)

those two alone basicaly shows why I need what I need

oh right, the basic use is for some gaming although I do not do so much right now, I am more into graphic art and design, like 3d modeling and animation as well as flash.

Last edited:

ABonel33smidget

I would try to look at Computer Specs 101 first. Those machines are good for the price you are talking about. If you want you can also upgrade the parts dont have to buy just what is suggested.

I would suggest a 400+ watt psu
And a sata hdd.

guitarplay

I went throught those a bit, and They looked nice, but the thing is, I would end up adding ram anyways, as well as changing graphics card, as well as probably some other things. I guess I could find one and modify it, but I think I know what I need here, not the details, but I would like to learn that as well in this process.

guitarplay

Ok, I just went through even closer and the first problem I found is that I dont see any that use AGP

I dont know about the PCI e cards for the program, I can find them, but it will take more time. Other that that I saw one i kind liked

Budget: <1300USD
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200 [S939, Manchester, ADA4200DAA5BV] ($359.00)
ASUS A8R-MVP [RX200CF] ($95.99)
XClio XClio-480BL [12V@33A] ($63.99)
GSKill PC3200 2x1GB CL2.5 ($150.99)
PowerColor 1900XT512OEM Radeon X1900XT 512MB ($479.00)
BenQ DQ60BK ($37.99)
ATADC CAG101 Case ($19.50)
Maxtor DiamondMax10 250GB 16MB PATA ($92.00)
SUBTOTAL: $1298.46

Its almost everything I need except its got a PCI e not an AGP slot, and I would have to change the graphcis card.

Budget: <900USD
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200 [S939, Manchester, ADA4200DAA5BV] ($359.00)
NEC 3550A DVDRW ($39.75)
Sapphire X300SE 128MB DDR PCIE ($47.99)
ASUS A8R-MVP [RX200CF] ($95.99)
Xclio GOODPOWER 500W [12V@29A] ($48.00)
Chenming 301KEB-0-0 ($35.50)
Rosewill 2x1GB PC3200 CL2.5 ($152.99)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 16MB SATA ($116.00)
SUBTOTAL: $895.22

even better deal, but its pci still. If I find the pci cards Il probably do something like this. Same thing, but its a 300 gig with a different graphics card. Thats what im looking for I guess.

Last edited:

mrbagrat

banned
You can get a DVI-pretty much any video cable adapter. Since most cards only have DVI and maybe S-video, they usually include an adapter. If not you can get one at radio shack or fry's.