Building my first computer (high performance)

newbiecomp

New Member
Hello, I'm new to the forums and also new to building my own custom computer.

I have been interested in alienware computers, but many people have told me i can build my own system for much cheaper. I have some decent knowledge on computer parts themselves (performance, and such) but i have never fully built a system from scratch.

The system i put together is this:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12848227

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I also am curious if i should go with duel video cards, but i heard it only makes a very slight difference.

Again, i am very excited but not sure if i should attempt putting together a system myself. I have only replaced my hard drive otherwise i am brand new to doing this. I'm debating whether i should just play it safe and purchase a system prebuilt from a business, or attempt to put this one together myself.
 
Well what Alienware are you looking at? You could get a nice custom build for around $2,000. Did you just go through and pick the most expensive thing from each category? I could see a $3000-$4000 computer perform just as well.
 
Well what Alienware are you looking at? You could get a nice custom build for around $2,000. Did you just go through and pick the most expensive thing from each category? I could see a $3000-$4000 computer perform just as well.

No, of coarse not. The alienware build i had customized was roughly the same exact computer i posted above except the price, and i had duel gtx 280video cards added on the alienware also cause they do not offer single gtx cards for some odd reason.

Other wise the mobo, processor, ram, hard drive is the same. Of coarse it is just much more costly to choose alienware.

The alienware came to roughly 6,500....but not including a lcd screen, speakers, nor microsoft small business progrom all of which i will need. but again going the custom route i have never built a computer before so it makes me very nervous.
 
WOW!!! Get Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, and why do you want a UPS???

Otherwise, that is FANTASTIC!!
 
Well you could get it a lot cheaper. I'm not saying Alienware is overpriced, I'm saying for the performance that is overpriced. If you're only using one GTX 280 I don't think you would need 1100W PSU. You could use the onboard audio and get a cheaper mouse, that would save $200 and not really impact performance. You could also get this processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115034

Overclock it 0.2GHz and save $500. And unless you want 505W speaker system I would look at the X-540. It is 5.1 surround sound as well and is plenty loud enough for me even at 1/4 volume, and I got it on sale for $70. And for the money, I seriously don't think DDR3 is worth it. You could get a DDR2 mobo with very fast DDR2 for a fraction of that price. I mean if you have $7,000 that build is great. But if it were my money I would look at the alternatives.
 
Or even better still go for the Q6600 and an aftermarket CPU cooler for a grand total of $240. You could probably overclock that to 3.0GHz. Higher if you get liquid cooling.
 
Mobo: Go for 780i instead, the current performance of DDR3 RAM not worth the money.

PSU: Unless you prepare Tri-SLi, you don't need a 1100W. Go for cheaper PSU like PC&C 750W, Consair 750W or Antec 850W

Monitor: Go for the fastest 2ms instead.

HSF: Arctic Cooling Freeze pro already come with Pre-applied MX-2 (better than AS5), extra thermal grease not necessary.

SoundCard: I personally will choose one with optical out and connect with Z5500

CPU: Personally will go for Q9650 instead, I am not sure an extreme edtion with further 0.2 GHz worth extra $1000

Case: $330 for a case is a bit expensive, but up to you...
 
I appreciate all the feedback :)

Well I would like to spend below 5,000 but in that price range i also need new speakers, new monitor which if i choose alienware i wouldn't get a new monitor, speakers, or small business which i need AND its way overpriced so money is an issue.

I'm brand new to building a new computer, i've always had some knowledge on parts, but never on how to put the hardware together, so i'm very nervouw if i should attempt to build my own.

But if i choose to build my own, over going with alienware i would stay away from liquid cooling cause that would be another thing i wouldn't be too framilar with on how to put together.

I also choose the 1,100 watt supply for future upgrades. I wasn't sure if i was going to use duel videocards so just in case i do in the near future i wanted to make sure my supply was top notch to last quite a few years with upgrades.
 
you might not need 5 cases and other random items, and for air cooling, i would get a thermalright true, i wouldn't go with alienware either, if you just want the case, you can buy them refurbished from ebay, otherwise try digitalstormonline.com or projectwarmachine.com, but in my opinion, i would just build it on my own
 
Check out these sites.

www.ibuypower.com

www.cyberpowerpc.com

No people, I am not promoting my business, lol. Those websites are good for building custom computers. Unlike Alienware, they have all options to choose from, not just the top notch ones. You select the parts, they build it for you, and then mail it to you. I have two friends that ordered from here, very nice computers for around $1300 each.

For CyberPower, go to configurators on the left. For IBuyPower, you have to select between AMD and Intel first, and then you can customize the computer.
 
Back
Top