Building my first PC

RookieMills

So I've gotten into PC gaming with a really bad system. I thought to myself that it's time to build something of my own. I am a beginner and do not know the basics of building a PC, and I've skimmed over some guides and am still not able to understand. I want to know the basic components and hardware of building my first PC. Tips, tricks, anything that is useful is really appreciated. Keep in mind, I'm on a very tight budget(just saying).

mistersprinkles

Merry Christmas.
Need the following location:

Where are you located?

What is your budget?

What does that budget include?
-just the tower?
-monitor?
-Operating system?
-speakers/other?

-What kinds of games do you want to play

-if you already have a monitor, what is the resolution of that monitor?

RookieMills

How much is this budget and what exact games are you planning on playing?
I have about 200$ on me at the moment, but I don't plan on dropping it all at once. I want to take it slowly and buy the parts I need as I go. Money is hard to come by, since I have a sophomore in Highschool. As for games, I plan on just playing cs:go and Minecraft. It'd be great if I could run Minecraft at around 300fps.

RookieMills

Merry Christmas.
Need the following location:

Where are you located?

What is your budget?

What does that budget include?
-just the tower?
-monitor?
-Operating system?
-speakers/other?

-What kinds of games do you want to play

-if you already have a monitor, what is the resolution of that monitor?
I am United States, California. Budget is around 200$, just for now(don't have much money). I am looking to drop all the money in the tower. I do not have a monitor, that will have to come after the tower. As for operating system, I would like the best for gaming(not sure what it is). Cs:go, Minecraft, games that don't require a hardcore setup. I'm not sure if I'll need speakers. Keep in mind, I have no info on what a PC needs and how it works.

mistersprinkles

Go buy a PS4 during boxing week dude.
You can't buy computers bit by bit. You end up with half your parts being out of date or you pay more for them than you would otherwise have. Save your money in a bank account until you have about $1000 then buy the computer. Otherwise take your $200 and buy a PS4 on boxing week discount.

ramirez

Go buy a PS4 during boxing week dude.
You can't buy computers bit by bit. You end up with half your parts being out of date or you pay more for them than you would otherwise have. Save your money in a bank account until you have about $1000 then buy the computer. Otherwise take your $200 and buy a PS4 on boxing week discount.

Actually "mistersprinkles" has a good point....unless you are going to buy all the parts within a few months apart you putting together "piece meal" system is not a good idea. You may even want to look at computer (TPU, Hard, EVGA, CF....etc.) forums for sale threads as you could probably buy combo deal for a decent price.
Would suggest googling how to build a PC and looking at youtube videos, and you will want to know how to read a basic electrical schematic manual as computer manuals are easier but along
the same lines.

Basic Hardware for a PC:
Computer Case
Fans
Power Supply
DVD/CD drives
Hardrive
GPU/video card
CPU with heatsink
Motherboard
RAM
Sound card (maybe)
Zip ties
Philips Screwdriver

Think I got most of it

mistersprinkles

Please explain how and why one needs to be able to read electrical schematics in order to assemble a PC using a single screwdriver and included screws? I'd really like to know. Have I done something wrong all 50 something times I've done a build?

ramirez

Please explain how and why one needs to be able to read electrical schematics in order to assemble a PC using a single screwdriver and included screws? I'd really like to know. Have I done something wrong all 50 something times I've done a build?

Maybe my wording was not appropriate in getting my point across, but for me, having some basic electrical knowledge was helpful to me when I first started building systems. Is it necessary?? No, but knowledge is power. However I did also refer this first time builder to peruse some you tube videos for assistance. Just because you can work a screwdriver and some screws doesn't mean another person may have that same knowledge of tools. PC building is a little more than a screwdriver and screws as you may know.

ReMiXeDg

Don't even go with a ps4 you can get a Xbox one for $175 as for the PC save money as you play with the console then from there when you hit $1000 you can purchase parts and have a rig equal to almost $1600

mistersprinkles

LOL....this is assuming we are talking about people who know the difference between a Standard and a Philips head.;)

front-banner.png

You haven't lived until you've worked with robertson/square heads. The torque and control you can get is magical.

Intel_man

VIP Member
front-banner.png

You haven't lived until you've worked with robertson/square heads. The torque and control you can get is magical.
The robertson screw is Canadian for the most part. The US didn't get into that design, even though it was far superior to the Philips, since the creator of the screw got shafted in an unfortunate license deal with a UK company. Which led to him just not letting anyone license his design afterwards... which kinda just blocked the US adoption of this product.