Building my media centrum (low noise, low power)

Telhma

Intro:
Hello all, I builded a few years back my computer for editing images, and i loved to do it. it's a 4790K water cooled and overclocked CPU. Problem is that it's using a lot of power (well, not that much compared to gaming machines, i think i runs like 250W when it's running on full power), and it's running loud.

Main question and situation:
Now i want to build my own media pc, and if it's possible. i want it to run at less then 50W when it's playing a video, streaming from the net, or playing some music. But i do not know where to start looking for the components. It seems a lot harder to look for components with that in mind then for components to get extreme performance.

I had in mind, to go with a Asus Z97-E motherboard, But i have no clue if it supports some form of fan control system, so maybe i have to go for the Z97-A. somebody here who knows something about that??

Next is the processor, and here my brain totally goes insane. I don't think i need that much processor power to run the tasks i explained above. So i had in mind to use the Intel® Core™ i5-4690K, and underclock it to around 2/2,5 GHZ to reduce the heat, because i want to passively cool it with a Noctua NH-D15, with the fans only kicking in when the processor is running really hot
BUT: For a fraction of the prize, there is also the Pentium G3258. would that be capable to run my applications, with no overheating issues. keeping in mind i do not gonna install a graphical card ?

Beside of that, i think to install 4 or 8 GB ram (1600). and use a Slax linux distribution for now, that i can copy to the ram on boot from a USB-flash drive. maybe later i decide to add a SSD and put ubunto on it, I do not expect that a SSD will use that much power.

A fanless power supply and a case will be added to make the system working.

Is there something i overlook. or that i need to do totally different. I am no experience builder. and i have totally know experience with building with power and sound management in mind.

Thanks for the help // Telhma

Last edited by a moderator:

Telhma

I have tought about that option also, but I do not see the advantage. I think the ddr3 ram will be not a trouble maker in my setup. Does the power consumption of ddr4 make such a difference?

Thanks for the replay!

Greetings

Laquer Head

I have tought about that option also, but I do not see the advantage. I think the ddr3 ram will be not a trouble maker in my setup. Does the power consumption of ddr4 make such a difference?

Thanks for the replay!

Greetings

What does this even mean?

DDR4 is the way to go if your building new, DDR3 is old now!

Telhma

What does this even mean?

DDR4 is the way to go if your building new, DDR3 is old now!
It means that i do not see where DDR4 can give a better performance then DDR3. in a setup where i want to under-clock.

but, if i would go for both the setups and the possibility's i have in the store here, they would cost me this:

Old technology:
  • Asus Z97-E = 899 SEK
  • Intel i5 4690K = 2290 SEK
  • 8GB DDR3 1600= 399 SEK
  • Total= 3588 SEK or 429,49 USD
New technology
  • Asus Z170-A = 1589 SEK
  • Intel i5 6600K = 2385 SEK
  • 8GB DDR4 2400 = 499 SEK
  • Total 4473 or 535,43 USD
I understand that the motherboard is totally different, and i understand that the newer system is better in all ways. but i used the cheapest parts available to buy here, to get the closest to what i had in mind to use with the older technology.
The difference in prize will be like 100USD.

For the things i want to use the computer for, i think i will get the same results with both the setups, or am i wrong??? i can be totally wrong off course. you guys are way much in to computer stuff then i am. I do not know if it's worth to pay 100USD extra, just for a newer setup. Okej. it is true, if i want to upgrade later to a X99, i can use the DDR4 memory again, and that would me save there 48 dollar again.

I hope you understand what i just wrote here :D

Greetzz

Intel_man

VIP Member
Why are you spec'ing for a K cpu when you're looking for low power consumption? It's not like you're going to overclock anyways.

Cisco001

Why are you using high-end component for a htpc?
If power consumption and noise is a concern, you get those intel nuc/ gigabyte brix. Or even grab a laptop and plug in HDMI & wireless keyboard and job done.