building new comp need advice

Burn_all

**** i just wrote this out now i avhe to do it again, so anyhow i'm making myself a new comptuer as the old 1 is getting out dated and i would
appericate any adivce u guys can give me i dont know it all but i know some
i already have a monitor, windows, ect.

okay so i want 3-4 gigs of RAM, and 500gigs or 1 TB of HD space SATA i'm assuming mite RAID it too

mother board i really dont knwo much about my last 1 was an asus but i havent really looked at motherboards much so ummm asus would be prefreed but not nessassary

as for the video card i think i'd like a PCI-X unless there is anything ebtter now o_O i would like around 200-300 on this.
and 512 ram on it.. if i can.. my old 1 is 128.

processor ermm again ahvent done much reserch but i was likeing Core™2 Duo 2.4GHz or better. *again dotn know mcuh, i just know how to put them together

any suggestions would be greatly appricated thanks

Burn_all

13 views n no suggestions? o_O well heres what i've come up with so far..
2 2 gb of kvr 800 RAM
wester digital 500 gig sata

asus PSNe-SLI for a monther board
intel duel core 2.6 gighz
a nividia 8800 gt video card
on a MIOS 545W powersuplie

hpi

banned
The maximum you wanna spend and what are all the things it's gonna be used for?

Burn_all

my budget is 1000-1200
oh and i have to buy a case too

i'm going to use it for gaming, convertnig movie files, and streeming satlite to my tv :D

Gogey

hpi

banned
Damn I was looking for that ram I didn't see it though!

Id spend the little bit more on the Quad for sure.

Antec 900 is a great case.

I went for a cheaper but better Psu that can be arranged nicely in that case.

Why spend more on that gpu when it really has no noticeable improvement over the GT?

Burn_all

okay i'm going over these now and tahnks for the input guys but 2 2gigs of ram means 4 gb total sorry about the confusion on that 1

oh and its better to go for a 2.4 quad core insted of ilke a 3.0 duel? or the other way arond, i really dont get what a quad core dose over a duel.. its slow.. but more processorrs.. so wont it only help if i'm running 4 or more apps at once?

Alien Ware

banned
My thoughts:

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor ($239.99)
MOBO:GIGABYTE GA-X38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard ($199.99)
RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory ($72)
GFX:DIAMOND Viper 3870PE4512SB Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail ($200)
HDD:Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($144.99)
PSU:COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI Standard EPS 12V V2.91 650W Power Supply ($140)
CASE:NZXT Apollo SILVER NP Silver SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($70)

TOTAL: $1109
... you could probably lower some stuff....

hpi

banned
okay i'm going over these now and tahnks for the input guys but 2 2gigs of ram means 4 gb total sorry about the confusion on that 1

oh and its better to go for a 2.4 quad core insted of ilke a 3.0 duel? or the other way arond, i really dont get what a quad core dose over a duel.. its slow.. but more processorrs.. so wont it only help if i'm running 4 or more apps at once?

A quad core has 4 cores instead of 2 cores like a dual core.

It doesn't have more processors, It's only 1 processor but with 2 or 4 cores.

That 2.4GHz cpu can be oced to be 3.0GHz easily and then compare a dual to a quad.

Burn_all

yea but cant u overclockt he 3.0 higher as well?

also thanks for the input guys i'm finding this quite helpfull i was looking at gettnig 1/2 the system for 200 bucks mroe at my local comptuer store :D

hpi

banned
yea but cant u overclockt he 3.0 higher as well?

Yeah but you can Over clock the quad there also.

The quad is just a faster better processor over all and it's more future proof. Over clock a Q6600 to 3.2 - 3.4GHz and have good fan cooling but around 3.3GHz Id MAYBE start using water cooling but that' be a wicked fast cpu.

Ya never buy pre built, custom built is more fun with choosing the parts and assembling it all yourself and it gives you a good feeling when you put together your own system for cheaper and you get all the joys of building it and learning stuff.

Gogey

And the 8400 Can be overclocked to 3600 MHZ easily, your point? Not to mention we didn't add a 3rd party cooler, so the OC'ing is obviously out of the questions.

The 8800GTS difference is noticeable, or it wouldn't even compete in the market. Also, The Witcher is included, which costs at least 30$ bringing the price even closer. That being said, we don't know what resolution and what games hes playing. If hes playing older games, then he should go with a 9600GT. If hes playing newer games at a higher resolution then he can stick with a 8800.

The general consensus is that the 8400 is better for gaming and light multitasking as most games (Read: all but 4) don't utilize all 4 cores of the quad. For heavier multitasking, the quad will edge it out. Also, the 8400 is a 45nm proc, which means it runs cooler at stock as well.

hpi

banned
The general consensus is that the 8400 is better for gaming and light multitasking as most games (Read: all but 4) don't utilize all 4 cores of the quad. For heavier multitasking, the quad will edge it out. Also, the 8400 is a 45nm proc, which means it runs cooler at stock as well.

True BUT who would get a newer pc to play older games? I don't know anyone who would and hes most probably gonna want to start doing some multi tasking of sorts.

Imo I would take a quad over an 8400 any day but that's just me.

It's up to him to decide which he finds suitable for himself and what kind of processing power he wants.

Gogey

True BUT who would get a newer pc to play older games? I don't know anyone who would and hes most probably gonna want to start doing some multi tasking of sorts.

Imo I would take a quad over an 8400 any day but that's just me.

It's up to him to decide which he finds suitable for himself and what kind of processing power he wants.

Because gaming might not be the primary reason hes building it? There are other things you can do with a computer ya know. Also, by older games I dont mean starcraft and microsoft bob. Im talking 1-2 year old games that don't require Triple-SLI 8800GTXs to run at max settings.

Burn_all

humm about the duel vs the quad woudlent the quad also be a more future friendly choice, i mean then my mobo will support quads if i want to ugprade to a 3.0 quad later on when its practical?

hpi

banned
humm about the duel vs the quad woudlent the quad also be a more future friendly choice, i mean then my mobo will support quads if i want to ugprade to a 3.0 quad later on when its practical?

Yeah of course it's more future friendly.