Building New Computer need input

mattp28

New Member
I have never built a computer but after looking at all my pre-built options at "Bestbuy" and "Dell" they all pretty much look like crap. I know there is not much to building a computer but need a little push in the right direction. I am a photographer and need something that will process my editing using, photoshop or whatever photo program it be I use I will be doing some home video editing as well also I will not be gaming I have a PS3 for that.

My current setup "Dell P4 2.0 1gb old ram" worked ok for my old camera but my new cameras files are about 6-50mb and it takes forever to edit or even pull up a picture. I found a build that looked good but was wanting to get some advice before I jump off into ordering and buying. I dont mind spending money for a quaility system but really dont need overkill either. I would like to invest in something that will be upgradable in the future if possible. Here is what I have so far.

1 Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S
$27.99

1 Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$59.95

2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
$199.98

1 XFX HD-467X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 16 HDCP Ready Video Card
$69.99

1 Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1678A - OEM
$18.99

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power
$79.99

1 Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader
$14.99

1 OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$149.99

1 GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
$188.99

1 Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
$288.99

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders OEM
$104.99

1 OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal
$249.00


Subtotal: $1,457.82


Any other suggestions? To save any money? Or improve? Have I forgotten anything? Beside monitors........Any suggestions on those? I would like to have 2 - 20" at least.
 
I am not sure what area you live but you can spend under $1000 (including 24" LCD Monitor) and still able to run softwares like CS4. I just built a system for a customer last month using i5 processor, 4GBs of RAM, 1TB HDD, black case with 500W PSU, video card with 512MB RAM, DVDRW Drive, 24" Samsung LCD Monitor at Fry's Electronics. I am not sure if you live near computer stores like Fry's but shop around and you might be able to find cpu/motherboard combo deal and stuff like that. Newegg.com is a good place to buy computer parts too. I just don't think you need i7 processor to do what you want to do.
 
I'd drop one of the hard drives, unless you just really need all of that space. Good choice of drives though.

Why are you getting the extra read-only DVD drive? The old IDE drive you listed isn't needed in this system, unless you have a specific use for it. Plus, IDE cables make for bad airflow and cable management... :/

You might want to go for a larger version of that PSU, just for a bit of future-proofing. 550W should be just fine for the current build though.

Other than that, it seems like you've got a good build there. :good:
 
I'd drop one of the hard drives, unless you just really need all of that space. Good choice of drives though.

For the price these are pretty good. I am going to run them in raid 1 so the mirror each other and I dont lose anything. I will be keeping all my pictures on these drives. Of course I will be backing them up to cd/dvd per each client. But I already have 320gb or so of data I need to keep.

Why are you getting the extra read-only DVD drive? The old IDE drive you listed isn't needed in this system, unless you have a specific use for it. Plus, IDE cables make for bad airflow and cable management...

Didnt realize that was not a sata drive. I have two drives right now and it makes it nice to be able to copy a dvd or cd without waiting for the computer to mirror the cd. I guess I could just get two burner drives for the extra $7 or so and they would both be sata.


I am not sure what area you live but you can spend under $1000 (including 24" LCD Monitor) and still able to run softwares like CS4. I just built a system for a customer last month using i5 processor, 4GBs of RAM, 1TB HDD, black case with 500W PSU, video card with 512MB RAM, DVDRW Drive, 24" Samsung LCD Monitor at Fry's Electronics. I am not sure if you live near computer stores like Fry's but shop around and you might be able to find cpu/motherboard combo deal and stuff like that. Newegg.com is a good place to buy computer parts too. I just don't think you need i7 processor to do what you want to do.

I dont buy computers often. The last desktop I bough was in 2001. I am hoping this one will last me 5-8 years. I will be doing more then just photo editing. It wil be my home computer for itunes, internet and as a tv tuner recorder. If im going to spend $1000 for a computer that will do what I want whats another couple $100 for a blazin machine. Plus this is my first build. I priced out a i5 setup and I was in the $1200 range.
 
For the price these are pretty good. I am going to run them in raid 1 so the mirror each other and I dont lose anything. I will be keeping all my pictures on these drives. Of course I will be backing them up to cd/dvd per each client. But I already have 320gb or so of data I need to keep.
Ah. Carry on then. :)



Didnt realize that was not a sata drive. I have two drives right now and it makes it nice to be able to copy a dvd or cd without waiting for the computer to mirror the cd. I guess I could just get two burner drives for the extra $7 or so and they would both be sata.
That is a nice ability to have. Maybe make one a Lightscribe drive as well?


I dont buy computers often. The last desktop I bough was in 2001. I am hoping this one will last me 5-8 years. I will be doing more then just photo editing. It wil be my home computer for itunes, internet and as a tv tuner recorder. If im going to spend $1000 for a computer that will do what I want whats another couple $100 for a blazin machine. Plus this is my first build. I priced out a i5 setup and I was in the $1200 range.
You've done well then. This machine will take high-end upgrades for quite a while.
 
Back
Top