Building new computer...what is better?

gastoff

First time trying to assemble my own desktop. Im new to the whole thing and have only a limited understanding of all the techno-jargon so some of my questions will seem quite amateurish. Here are the parts I am thinking of getting and what I already have:

Processor: Intell Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz x2 (I have these from my current computer)

RAM: GSkill Ripjaw series 2x2GB 240pin DDR3

Motherboard: ECS AM3 AMD 770 DDR3, 4 DIMMs, PCIe 2.0x16 slot

Video Card: Debating between two at the momment... Radeon HD5750 1GB 128-bit DDR5 w/ Crossfire support, or possibly GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit DDR3 with SLI support.

Im trying to keep this at a decent budget (under $400) and need to add a power supply to the list. Do I need to go above a 500Watt, or will 500 do?

All the above items will come to around $250 (since I have my own processors) so I hope with getting a 500W ($20) or a 575W ($25) Power Supply I will be set.

gastoff

In my current comp I have two Intell P4 2.8 GHz Processors. I am thinking I will take those out and put them in my new DDR3 motherboard, since my current motherboard wont support the upgrades. Since this is my first build, Im not even sure if this makes sense, but I hope it does...

Analizer

If you want DDR3 RAM memory I don't think there is any point in staying with Intel Pentium 4... and you have two seperate Intel processors or 2-cored Intel processor? It makes a difference

EDIT:
Are the Intel CPUs not compatable with an AMD motherboard?

And no they're not. AMD CPUs have 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket and Intel processors include sockets like LGA478, LGA775, LGA1156, LGA1366 (most popular)

Last edited:

gastoff

If I am to ditch the P4s, should I go with a couple Phenom IIs or Athelon IIs? Which is better, two separate, or 2-cored?

gastoff

Also, should I go ahead and splurge on a 40GB SSD to replace my current 40GB HDD. I have a 500GB external HD that I keep most of my documents on to keep my main comp as free as possible. Or, should i wait a while for the price of SSD to drop and just stick with my current HDD...

vandassen

Also, should I go ahead and splurge on a 40GB SSD to replace my current 40GB HDD. I have a 500GB external HD that I keep most of my documents on to keep my main comp as free as possible. Or, should i wait a while for the price of SSD to drop and just stick with my current HDD...

stick with sata HDD for now...

gastoff

Any opinions on which Video Card I should get? Is the Radeon compatible with a DDR3 if it is intended for a DDR5?

MacBook

banned
Get a single processor, you don't need dual ones. I would go with an Intel i7 920 and 1366 motherboard, of course only if you can afford it.

gastoff

The reason I wanted to go with the AMD DDR3 motherboard is because it is only $37. If I got it, will the Radeon 1GB Video Card I posted work in it?

Also, will 500Watts be sufficient to run everything?

Jamin43

banned
No problem - I was in your situation less than a year ago. Old Pentium 4 - wanted to upgrade - and after a little research - I figured out - it was a waste of time to upgrade my 5 year old PC.

If you are thining of upgrading - you'll first need to know that a CPU / Motherboard / RAM / and Graphics Card are the core of your system. Your Current CPU seats in an " OLD " socket - on and " OLD " motherboard - which will limit the CPU upgrade options well below today's standards for PC.

First thing you need to decide on is " what do I want my PC to do " - and what is my budget - and then back into a CPU / Motherboard combination based on your budget.

After that - You'll need to decide if you are gaming < will need a decent GPU > or not interested in gaming - you can get by with an < part of your MOBO > Onboard Graphics card for 1 monitor. It's a cheaper alternative - but again - you won't be able to do much in the ways of gaming unless you choose to add a Graphics card < GPU > later.

Your MOBO will tell you what RAM you will be betting - as the Slot is determined by the MOBO. DDR, DDR2, DDR3 each have different configurations as to what slot they will fit in.

Then a Power Supply - Operating System - Hard Drive< HDD >, DVD Drive, Keyboard - and Monitor and you're good to go. :good:

** If you want to save a HDD or DVD drive to save money - you can - but the HDD may be a little slower from your older system. **

CPU Buyeer's Guide

Gaming Graphic's Card Guide Best buy for the $

Guide to Building your own PC

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
Any opinions on which Video Card I should get? Is the Radeon compatible with a DDR3 if it is intended for a DDR5?

Don't pay any attention to Video Card DDRx number for compatibility. If the Video card is PCIex16 - it'll fit in a PCIex16 slot regardless if the numbers match up.

You can't buy DDR5 RAM for a PC core anyway. It's not a product on the marketplace ;)

gastoff

I have a monitor, and all the other accessories needed. It will be for gaming, but not cutting edge graphics games. Simply need it for WoW and the likes. I looked up the CPUs compatable with my motherboard and it says "Phenom II/Athelon II/Sempron 100 series". So I will need new CPUs for it. Any recommendations as to what I should get to match my motherboard? So far it looks like my budget setup will be:

MOBO: AMD 770 DDR3 with SLI $37
CPU: Unknown
RAM: GSkill DDR3 2x2GB 1600MHz $85
GPU: Radeon HD5750 1GB $130
PSU: Logisys 575W $23
HDD: 40GB

Last edited:

gastoff

Dont want to spend more than 100 bucks for CPU if possible...I wont need anything over 3GHz anyways, so that should keep the price down

vandassen

I couldn't keep it within your budget for a few reasons:
- PSU MUST be a reliable brand name, do yourself a favour - don't get a cheap one
- I included CPU because yours won't work in new mobos with DDR3
- you might want a bigger HDD for your OS and programs

CPU $91
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

MB $80
MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130228

RAM $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

GPU $130
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859

HDD $50
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

DVD $27
LITE-ON 22X w/ LightScribe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106328

PSU $40 ($15 MIR)
CORSAIR 400W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Total $503 shipped (after rebates)

Can you send a link for your mobo? "MOBO: AMD 770 DDR3 with SLI $37"

Last edited:

vandassen

for the one I posted:

the mobo is AM3 and the CPU is AM3 *checkmark

the mobo is DDR3 1600 and the RAM is DDR3 1600 *checkmark

MSI is better then the ECS you posted

there are other options, of course. let us know what you think you want.

this one will support upgrades for a while (future-proof) and it's pretty darn nice as is. will run fast for a long time to come and will have nice graphics.

fast dual core cpu, fast ram, fast hard drive, reliable power source (too small to Crossfire though), mobo can have ram upgrades to 16GB and AM3 CPU's if you want a quad core (no crossfire on mobo)

Last edited: