Building new PC

popA

Hey guys, my i7 gaming pc was recently stolen.
I need to build PC as quickly as possible but I kinda don't have much money ATM since I bought motorbike.
I'm not sure if parts are compatible since I'm building PC on my own for the first time.
I was thinking it like this:

Processor: i5 4460
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 V3 MSI
RAM: 16GB DDR3 HyperX 1600Mhz

This GPU was in my gaming PC but I replaced it this year with GTX980 aaaaaaaaand since it's gone I will use this one.
GPU: ATI 5870 2GB GDDR5 256bit

Also, do you think 600W PSU will be enough?
I have Corsair CX600, I used to use it before and was quite satisfied.

This is just to get me going till I buy new gaming beast.

Last edited:

_Glitch

All compatible.
But why 16gig of RAM? Aren't it a gaming computer only?

PSU is fine. I would prefer something more high end myself, but hey it will do the job just fine.
If you are going for it, newegg has it on sale right now and with free shipping. You can also use a rebate card to get 20bucks more off the price.
Don't know how that works, haven't shopped a newegg before. maybe you do.
But check it out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

popA

I will go towards high end when I get more money (next year), I kind have a lot of expenses nowadays.
I will use those 16gigs of RAM for next PC as well.
I already have PSU.

Aaaaaaaaand, thank you for reply, appreciate it!

popA

I just need something that will get me through playing games till I buy i7 again.
It's not 2nd hand.

Laquer Head

Hey guys, my i7 gaming pc was recently stolen.
I need to build PC as quickly as possible but I kinda don't have much money ATM since I bought motorbike.
I'm not sure if parts are compatible since I'm building PC on my own for the first time.
I was thinking it like this:

Processor: i5 4460
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 V3 MSI
RAM: 16GB DDR3 HyperX 1600Mhz

This GPU was in my gaming PC but I replaced it this year with GTX980 aaaaaaaaand since it's gone I will use this one.
GPU: ATI 5870 2GB GDDR5 256bit

Also, do you think 600W PSU will be enough?
I have Corsair CX600, I used to use it before and was quite satisfied.

This is just to get me going till I buy new gaming beast.

Complete and utter waste of money. Either do without or buy parts knowing that they are equivalent to flushing cash down the toilet.

Buying that old ass shit now is stupid.. no other way to put it

And P.S. that picture is creepy as ****..

spirit

Staff member
Firstly, I'm sorry to hear that your PC got stolen - must be awful!

Secondly, you will notice a big downgrade, especially from a 980 right the way back to an old 5870. I used to own of those, it was a great card, but the 760 I replaced it with is faster and the 980 is much faster than that still. The limiting factor of the 5870 now is its 1GB of RAM. You could try and find the 'Eyefinity 6' edition which had 2GB, but even that is too little to run recent titles at a decent resolution and settings. Most cards these days have at least 4GB with the mid- to high-end ones generally having 6GB or 8GB now.

Thirdly, yes, it is all compatible but you'd be better off investing in a new Socket 1151 motherboard, DDR4 RAM and use something like an i3 6100 or an i5 6400 instead of an old i5 4460 to get by. You could even use an i5 6600K which is a great CPU for gaming! At least if you went with 1151 and DDR4 RAM now (even if you only get 8GB, most games won't need 16GB), you could put an i7 6700K in your board when you can afford one and use current generation technology. If you get an i5 4460 now then you will be stuck with the i7 4790K as the best CPU you can use and you'll also be stuck with DDR3 RAM unless you change your motherboard too. The 4790K and DDR3 aren't bad and are still great today, but why buy hardware that's already at least two years old and not forward-compatible with anything new that's available today? Attempting to save money by purchasing a previous generation board, CPU and RAM will almost certainly cost you more in the long run.

popA

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear that your PC got stolen - must be awful!

Secondly, you will notice a big downgrade, especially from a 980 right the way back to an old 5870. I used to own of those, it was a great card, but the 760 I replaced it with is faster and the 980 is much faster than that still. The limiting factor of the 5870 now is its 1GB of RAM. You could try and find the 'Eyefinity 6' edition which had 2GB, but even that is too little to run recent titles at a decent resolution and settings. Most cards these days have at least 4GB with the mid- to high-end ones generally having 6GB or 8GB now.

Thirdly, yes, it is all compatible but you'd be better off investing in a new Socket 1151 motherboard, DDR4 RAM and use something like an i3 6100 or an i5 6400 instead of an old i5 4460 to get by. You could even use an i5 6600K which is a great CPU for gaming! At least if you went with 1151 and DDR4 RAM now (even if you only get 8GB, most games won't need 16GB), you could put an i7 6700K in your board when you can afford one and use current generation technology. If you get an i5 4460 now then you will be stuck with the i7 4790K as the best CPU you can use and you'll also be stuck with DDR3 RAM unless you change your motherboard too. The 4790K and DDR3 aren't bad and are still great today, but why buy hardware that's already at least two years old and not forward-compatible with anything new that's available today? Attempting to save money by purchasing a previous generation board, CPU and RAM will almost certainly cost you more in the long run.

Roger that, and thank you, I will actually do as you say!

spirit

Staff member
Roger that, and thank you, I will actually do as you say!
Sounds good to me!

Get the i5 6400 or 6600K for now and see how it goes. The thing to upgrade though would be the 5870.

Make sure you get an 1151 board and DDR4 memory too.

popA

Sounds good to me!

Get the i5 6400 or 6600K for now and see how it goes. The thing to upgrade though would be the 5870.

Make sure you get an 1151 board and DDR4 memory too.

Oke, this is what I have in mind now:

CPU: i5 6400
MB: Asus H110M-K
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz
PSU: Corsair CX600

OK, I will lend GPU from friend till I buy new one.
GPU: HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 256Bit

Is it all good now guys, everything compatible?