Building New Video/Gaming Pc - Should I wait?

XtremepballerX

So Im building a new computer for Video Editing and slight gaming . I was going to build it at the beginning of summer but I decided to wait for amds new processors, however they are yet to be released.

SO I was wondering If I should just build an i7 pc right now as I dont think there would be an extensive jump in performance and I dont know when they are going to be released. Also I dont think I would need more power than the new i7s and good components would offer. Any Opinions? :confused:

Budget is around $1000 not including lcd/mouse/etc. Ill post what I have in mind in a moment.

jonnyp11

the bulldozer is schedualed for september now and intel has new cpu's dropping at the beggining of next year

SwordsFLame

Considering that you are not a hardcore gamer, I would probably say there is no need to wait because editing doesn't need that brand new super stuff.

jonnyp11

although 8 true cores, even if they are the same as the phenoms which they should be a decent bit more powerfull since they claim it will compete with current and next gen i7's, will kill the 2600k

Perkomate

I7 will be plenty powerful enough for you. It all depends on what your gut feeling is. You can always wait for bulldozer, then decide to go Sandy Bridge.

Okedokey

although 8 true cores, even if they are the same as the phenoms which they should be a decent bit more powerfull since they claim it will compete with current and next gen i7's, will kill the 2600k

compete and kill are two very different things. The 2600K beats the previous i7 990x which was a 1000 dollar cpu. I would be very suprised if bd 'kills' the 2600k, and even if it did, you can upgrade to sandy bridge e, which is likely to overclock even better. The 2600k will kill most things video encoding, in fact it is the fastest chip at the moment for that i believe.

elobire

I wouldnt wait. Video editing, doesnt specifically need the best hardware and if you only do a slight bit of gaming then you wont be worried about a tiny boost in performance.

Okedokey

I wouldnt wait. Video editing, doesnt specifically need the best hardware and if you only do a slight bit of gaming then you wont be worried about a tiny boost in performance.

What are you talking about? Video encoding is about the most cpu intensive thing you can do. :eek: