Building the computer outside the case.

Exoclap

Hey guys !

So since I got this new computer I've started experiencing stuttering/choppy/jittery gameplay in my games. I tested literally almost everything. I did a bunch of RAM tests, HDD tests outside and inside windows OS etc... I tried re-installing windows, messing around in nvidia control panel, turning v-sync on which did help a little bit with the problem but at the end of the day it was still there.

So I remember that the only thing I didn't replace from my old computer was the case. I was experiencing stuttering in my old pc as well but I didn't think much of it since I had that computer already for 2 years.

Now I really want to test if this is a case issue by building my computer outside the case on a cardboard. My only question is how should I install the standoffs so my mobo doesn't fry or get damaged. I already removed all the parts from the case but I don't know how to go from there.

If you guys have any other tips or advice I would really appreciate all the help.

Thank you so much !

ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC 4GB

Intel core I5 4690k quad core 3.5 Ghz

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

1 stick of 8 gb ram

600W Corsair CX

PS: No parts of the rig have been overclocked.

beers

Staff member
You don't really need standoffs since cardboard doesn't conduct electricity.

The main purpose of standoffs is to elevate the board so that the backplate doesn't bridge all of the connections on the backside of the motherboard.

Exoclap

You don't really need standoffs since cardboard doesn't conduct electricity.

The main purpose of standoffs is to elevate the board so that the backplate doesn't bridge all of the connections on the backside of the motherboard.

Alright thank you so so much for the fast response. I just wanted to make sure so I dont screw anything up. One more thing though. Do you know any good ways to test if the motherboard/CPU is causing this problem that I'm having.

beers

Staff member
No worries.

Usually at that point it'd be replace CPU and test, replace MB and test.

I assume you installed all of the chipset drivers and similar after building the rig and installing Windows?

Exoclap

No worries.

Usually at that point it'd be replace CPU and test, replace MB and test.

I assume you installed all of the chipset drivers and similar after building the rig and installing Windows?

Yep I even updated BIOS. I assume that you don't need to update any drivers for the proccessor except the chipset driver. I would replace CPU and MOBO but I do not have any extra parts currently at my home :/

I've got all my drivers from the following websites:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios for the mobo drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx for the graphics card

+ windows updates

Deadpool

Usually when there is a standoff problem and there is a short, PSUs have overcurrent protection (and I think the CX series have it), so everything should freeze if there is such a problem.