Building up my computer into a gaming machine

Brute51

Hey all, hows it going.

So I am in need of some assistance, my uncle gave me his old windows PC, I threw a new hard drive in there with windows 8, from vista. I play wow alot, as well as games like skyrim etc.

I mean the computer runs them, but on low graphics and even lags occasionally opening non-heavy CPU programs like skype or spotify. Or the game wow lags when im around a decent amount of people,or have higher graphics enabled, or both etc.

I know to fix the graphics called problem should probably update it, but im not sure to what.

As for the speed/lag, is that due to my processor?

I will post the specs below:

hQl0lbJ.png

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560

So I know buying some RAM would help, any other better graphics cards and processors you can recommend? As well as whatever I can use to improve the speed and smoothness of gaming/performance in general on this computer? Thanks

Troncoso

VIP Member
The hard drive you added, did it have Windows 8 already installed? If that's the case, I would re-install Windows. The drivers are going to be all messed up on that install.

Saim

I am guessing it is the CPU, upgrading to a better one would be your best shot! or getting a Graphics Card.

Brute51

can u reccomend which intel proccessor to get that would really boost performance that is pretty affordable? I mean I know it wont be cheap but I dont need a 1000 one... samea graphics card?

Just something to run my computer at high graphics with no lag

Troncoso

VIP Member
That setup should ideally run WoW at decent settings. If it's not, you do need to look into downloading your drivers from the manufacturer website. Also make sure your PC is using the dedicated GPU, and not the motherboard graphics.

spirit

Staff member
What PSU and graphics card do you have at the moment? Make sure you have aftermarket cooling on the Q6600 before you attempt to overclock it, but with a good board and cooling you can get it to 3.4GHz which is a gigahertz above stock. That's a lot for a CPU like that.

Brute51

update my drivers for what? They are all up to date. I do not know what a PSU is @spirit, but the graphics card is at the bottom of the post.
What is a GPU and ready boost @Okedokey ?

Thanks guys, again im relatively new to building computers this will be the first one I do by myself, I have only done simple tings such as change hard drives, RAM, and graphics cards etc.

Thanks alot guys all help appriciated

spirit

Staff member
PSU is power supply, and sorry I didn't see the graphics card at first. It's an older card that was mid-range when it came out. You may benefit from an upgrade. What resolution do you play your games at?

You may also benefit from using an SSD as your boot drive and a hard drive to store games on.

kam

I'd say to get another CPU and GPU (Graphics Card). Yes, you could overclock the CPU and get good results, but in the long run you may need to upgrade anyway so I'd start now. Something like a core i3 2120 would be a good start if your budget isn't too high, and maybe a GTX 950 as they are pretty much the best "bang for buck" card on the market right now. Just make sure whatever CPU you decide to go with that your mother board can support it. Good luck! :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd say to get another CPU and GPU (Graphics Card). Yes, you could overclock the CPU and get good results, but in the long run you may need to upgrade anyway so I'd start now. Something like a core i3 2120 would be a good start if your budget isn't too high, and maybe a GTX 950 as they are pretty much the best "bang for buck" card on the market right now. Just make sure whatever CPU you decide to go with that your mother board can support it. Good luck! :)

1. No. Don't try to game with an i3
2. If he went for a Core i series, he'd need a new motherboard as well. The Core2Quad's are all socket 775.

spirit

Staff member
An upgrade to an i3 would be a bit pointless since most Core 2 Quads have equivalent performance to i3s.