Built in microphone won't work when I plug my headphones in?

LambentTyto

I don't think this is a hardware problem, since this started being a problem after I upgraded to windows 10.1. My laptop is an Asus X502CA.

Anyway, when I plug my headphones in to the sound jack (the only 3.5 mm jack available) something gets confused and my built in microphone no longer functions, but I can hear through my headphones fine. This makes skype and other communication software impossible to use. I used to be able to unplug my headphones and plug them back in a few times and my laptop would finally get it that my headphones were in fact headphones and not a mic, but for some reason that doesn't work anymore.

Are there any fixes for this?

Thanks!

kam

Go to your control panel and click sound, click recording and make sure you mic is unplugged. You'll see the option 'Microphone', plug in your mic back in and you should see it light up with a green tick. From there you can double click Microphone and tweak it in the microphone properties.

LambentTyto

Go to your control panel and click sound, click recording and make sure you mic is unplugged. You'll see the option 'Microphone', plug in your mic back in and you should see it light up with a green tick. From there you can double click Microphone and tweak it in the microphone properties.
Still can't get it to work. What's happening is my computer thinks my headphoes are a mic, and so it's disabling the built in mic in the screen. But my headphones have no mic.

Kajus

This once happened to me - this is how I fixed it:
1. Click the arrow at the bottom right of the screen to extend the icons and right click the speaker icon.
2. Click on "Recording devices"
3. You should see a few microphones so just left click the one that to want and click "Set default". You can manage your playback devices here such as speakers and headphones. Also you can set the volume. If you're still getting problems reply to me :)

LambentTyto

This once happened to me - this is how I fixed it:
1. Click the arrow at the bottom right of the screen to extend the icons and right click the speaker icon.
2. Click on "Recording devices"
3. You should see a few microphones so just left click the one that to want and click "Set default". You can manage your playback devices here such as speakers and headphones. Also you can set the volume. If you're still getting problems reply to me :)
Thanks for the reply. I've already gone in there like you've mentioned, but nothing seems to fix this problem. Amy ideas?

Kajus

Well, a few more things you could try to do are: update your drivers (there is a very usefull program SDI Tools - it lets you update your drivers very easily. Here's a link for it, just download the lite version https://sdi-tool.org/download/), check in the playback and recording what is the picture of your headphones - are they speakers, a microphone and such. Play around in the properties of playback and recording devices. This is all I could think of what could help you.