Built New PC, monitor stays in Power Save

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
To answer Smith's question, yes I have 5 standoffs under the motherboard
FYI, technically that board requires 6 standoffs unless you have a case that doesn't have a hole where a screw should go. You will have to borrow one from someone if you can then.

Agent Smith

Just a tip. When I built my PC my case had more holes than I needed for standoffs and I had to align the board in the case and make a note on where they all went. Had I added the standoffs to the spots that didn't need them I sure as shit would have grounded out my $200 + dollar MOBO.

So with that, make sure the standoffs align.

Did this monitor work before? If the standoffs are fine, then I might suspect the GPU.

Last edited:

Sixtus

Actually I do have two standoffs just sitting in holes but they're not near the motherboard. That would short it?

And the monitor worked when I hooked my laptop up to it, so it's not the monitor. I've also tried hooking up my PC to the TV via HDMI and it didn't work either, so I'm pretty positive it's a problem with the PC.

Sixtus

Just installed the sixth standoff. Same issue. I've been thinking about taking it to a repair shop but I don't know if they'll be able to do much more than I can. Of course, they'll have more expertise.

Agent Smith

What they will do is what you can do. Pull the whole thing out, lay on cardboard and assemble. Now try the monitor again. If it stiil doesn't work I suspect GPU or MOBO. Replace the GPU first.