Burn Baby Burn!!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Just though someone might get a kick out of these :) I found this pc in the trash and got it running in no time. As you can see in the pix that the computer must have been part of some fire because the black gunk in ashes and there was much smoke damage and it smelt as though I where camping LOL.

Specs

2.70ghz Intel Celron
0 gb of memory (I threw in 512mb's of pc 2100)
80gb HD
DVD rom drive
and some other stuff.

puter4.jpg

puter5.jpg

puter3.jpg

puter6.jpg

The montitor and keyboard where ones that I had sitting in the closet collecting dust. My plan was to clean it up the best that I can and give it to my nephews :).

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Oh ya the case was pretty damaged unfortunatly due to the heat of the fire apparently but the pc is an hp pavilion a400n... And oh the dvd rom was not reading perfectly so I stuck in another closet piece until I get a chance to clean out the one that was in the pc :).

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
lol, was there any damage to internal components.

I would say no but if you consider the drives then a yes :) the Floppy which is not in the picture was slightly melted and the dvd rom does not read correctly but i'm sure with cleaning that it will.

I'm really amazed at how little damage there was consider signs of heat on the exterior of the case (Melted in places) and the amount of ashes in the case and around the cpu. If I where to guess I would say that of course it where not directly in any fire but durring cleanup somehow got completly filled with ashes. There is alot of smoke damage that of course can be cleaned from the metal chassis and the smell is hard to get rid of but I'll replace anything plastic b4 my nephews pick it up :).

Another theory I've had is that it was running durring the time of the fire and the cpu fan sucked in all those ashes in which case it should make a great advertisement for Intel because it still runs like a charm LOL.

Last edited:

DarkOLB57

that's great...very little interior damage is pretty surprising :eek: from the looks of it you would have thought the board would have melted or something...2.7 gig...not a bad find

DarkOLB57

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
yes that was very surprising to find that there was little damage inside and thanks I thought it was also a good find also :).

Lax

VIP Member
I have one (exact same model) that was struck by lightning. The surge went in through the Ethernet and you can actually see the scorch mark. The board is shot but the rest of the parts worked great. Got a 120Gig seagate, 7 in 1 (like yours), DVD and Burner (sperate), memory, and a chip.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
wow i need to be on the lookout for computers in the trash - you never know what people throw out!

So true :) although I never would have imagined this LOL.

4W4K3

VIP Member
thats not ashes, at least it doesn't look like it. that looks like a nice thick layer of dust from the fan, if i don't clean out my heatsink after a few months i get that too. also if you are a smoker you get worse results faster...

are you sure they are ashes?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I'm 100% positive thanks :) although it's very fine it's Black as Black can be and the smell! :) I know that smell as I've lost everything to a fire once myself. Perhaps I'll swap those pix with a couple of others to show the smoke damage for ya's :). But yes I'd bet my computer system on it LOL.

Lax

VIP Member
dave597 said:
wow i need to be on the lookout for computers in the trash - you never know what people throw out!
You should go garbage hunting like me and my friend do. You wouldn't believe the stuff people throw out. Thanks to 1 house I have a 30" TV in my room and a 400W speaker system with 100W receiver and 50W sub.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You should go garbage hunting like me and my friend do. You wouldn't believe the stuff people throw out. Thanks to 1 house I have a 30" TV in my room and a 400W speaker system with 100W receiver and 50W sub.

LOL I used to go around on the large garbage pickups they had once or twice a year. It where amazeing what things I've found but I had to give that up as I became such the pack rat my place was getting to crowded.

Edit:

I suppose it would not have hurt to mention to ya 4W4K3 that I blew tones of the crap out of that b4 I completely opened er up outside on the balcony as my fiance could not stand the smell I also had to throw out the front face as it was melted (not overly bad) and smelt soooo smokey that again my fiance as well as myself could not stand the smell. I also have to replace those ide cables and whatever else that's plastic as it just smells so smokey :). Also ashes dont have to be chunks of crap as most people tend to think, dont forget that the ashes carried through the smoke is very fine like dust but much darker as shown in those picks.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
:) well i wasn't looking for anything but rather saw it when I went to throw out the trash but I does take me back to when I too went looking for such things.

Lax

VIP Member
In fact I'm going out tonight to see what I can haul in. Last time we went out we got 2 receivers, a TV, a dual VCR player, and a CD player. All part of some guys rack mount system. We think he just upgraded and tossed the old stuff. The TV was a 30" that I'm using in my basement now for crazy halo tourny's.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe its roughly the size of the next CPU cooler im looking into :p (vapochill casecooler hehe)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
That vapochill will be one sweet purchase! :). ya my case right now is the Kingwin KT-11-BK-WM Black case and I'm loving the small size of it actualy :). At first I was not too sure but I really like a powerfull and yet compact system although there is not a hell of alot of room between the end of my videocard and the HD's but it's cooled by 4 case fans which gets pretty noisy! but I'm looking into water cooling sometime this summer so I can crank down the fan speeds and perhaps turn them off.