Burn Baby Burn!!

ZER0X

VIP Member
tomprice43 said:
those models seem to be indestructible lol,

LOL So true :p

I can't believe you found that computer in a dumpster, what exactly was wrong with it...was it bcoz it was burnt the people just chucked it and didn't even see if it worked?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I can't believe you found that computer in a dumpster, what exactly was wrong with it...was it bcoz it was burnt the people just chucked it and didn't even see if it worked?

Could possibly be that the case was a bit melted and it smelt soooooo terrible that they threw it out just because of that. If you've ever been around a home after the fire was long out you'd recognize that smell that you just cannot get ride of.. Also I've been calling that black dusty crap there ashes which the correct term I guess would be SOOT although I'm not sure if that's spelt right LOL...

Anyhow After chucking all that's plastic and cleaning down the frame with SOS pads along with the dvd rom which I've not cleaned yet i'm sure it'll smell just fine only it'll need a new case or it'll be left like that. It's really all up to my nephews now because I told them that I found it and they could pick it up whenever they could. Again I'll mention that the only thing missing from this find was the ram :). I found it sitting on the floor in the garbage room beside the already full dumpsters along with a printer and keyboard both of which I just left there because they where not worth picking up... I'm sooooooo greatfull that the dumpsters where already full of garbage or else someone would have most likely threw it in there and I never would have found it.

4W4K3

VIP Member
hey man if your nephew doesn't pick it up i will:) where you at? All i've found in the trash is 2 * P3 computers (both running now) and an old Acer 133MHz (non-functional). Everyone around here goes to the library i guess lmao.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
hey man if your nephew doesn't pick it up i will

LOL well my nephews are sooooo excited they cannot wait. They currently have a p3 550mhz machine with like 256megs of ram.

Since you asked though I live in London Ontario :).

dave597 said:
wow i need to be on the lookout for computers in the trash - you never know what people throw out!
I've found one earlier in 2004. I didn't pick it up since it was a PI and I did not had the pieces for it :( . I soooo regret it!

Lax

VIP Member
Lol. you wouldn't believe some of the computer I've found in the garbage in the US. Not to mention a ton of PII's and III's, we found 2 133 dual server towers. Complete with SCSI hotswap in one and a SCSI array in another. The drives are only 2Gb total but there's six in each so they would make great web/ftp servers. In 1 of them we modded it to take 2 PSU's (ATX controls board and IDE, AT controls SCSI array), an ATX board (1.3Ghz Duron) and an IDE array also. So now it has I think about 20Gb in 8 or 10 drives. (yes I realize this is one of the ones I'm selling but don't worry, it's cleaned up).

P.S. I've never found anything better than that one that was struck by lightning in the garbage. You guys in the UK must find some pretty interesting stuff.

penguinrusty

Where do u guys find all this stuff? Around here all that we have is a dump...eveyone takes their junk there....And I live like 20 minutes away from it...I've seen some things thrown out, like p2's that aren't worth much these days...Still, you can part out the fans, CPU cooler....i dunno.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
:) I'm glad so many have taken interest in this post. It's fun to hear about all your storys and the good fortune we find at the bottom of a dumpster LOL..

Last night I striped the pc down once more for it's final cleaning and it shines like a brand new machine although without a case LMAO. While cleaning it I found somthing very interesting also that some of you with this model would prob be happy to know ;-). Check back here because tommorrow when I've got a bit more time I'll share with ya's what I found that was so interesting with this pc :).

Hint: There's something hidden that we all make use of ;-).

Edit:

K I was going to show pix but decided not too. Anyway on this particuler model there where just 1 firewire and 1 usb port on the face but in fact there are 2 usb ports on this pc on the face but the sticker covers 1 of them :). So if you cut an opening or jsut peel of the sticker you will reveal yet one more usb port on the face of the puter. Hope anyone that owns this model found this info handy.

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
Blue said:
K I was going to show pix but decided not too. Anyway on this particuler model there where just 1 firewire and 1 usb port on the face but in fact there are 2 usb ports on this pc on the face but the sticker covers 1 of them :). So if you cut an opening or jsut peel of the sticker you will reveal yet one more usb port on the face of the puter. Hope anyone that owns this model found this info handy.

Stupidest thing I ever heard....

Anybody ever own a Packard Bell? I inheretid my granma's old '95, and that case is so hard to take apart!!! Like 20 pieces, too

Lord AnthraX said:
Lol. you wouldn't believe some of the computer I've found in the garbage in the US. Not to mention a ton of PII's and III's, we found 2 133 dual server towers. Complete with SCSI hotswap in one and a SCSI array in another. The drives are only 2Gb total but there's six in each so they would make great web/ftp servers. In 1 of them we modded it to take 2 PSU's (ATX controls board and IDE, AT controls SCSI array), an ATX board (1.3Ghz Duron) and an IDE array also. So now it has I think about 20Gb in 8 or 10 drives. (yes I realize this is one of the ones I'm selling but don't worry, it's cleaned up).

P.S. I've never found anything better than that one that was struck by lightning in the garbage. You guys in the UK must find some pretty interesting stuff.

You know what? The next computer I find in the garbage, well I'm grabbing it. :D

Bobo said:
Stupidest thing I ever heard....

Anybody ever own a Packard Bell? I inheretid my granma's old '95, and that case is so hard to take apart!!! Like 20 pieces, too

Yeah, I had to repair my friend's one. Boy did I had fun disassembling it :confused:

Bobo

banned
PC Technology INC. said:
Yeah, I had to repair my friend's one. Boy did I had fun disassembling it :confused:

That metal riser protector thing was so hard to put back in, I literally bent the metal:D